Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Six Degrees of Separation
Posted By: Dewman, 07-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Six Degrees of Separation.

Over half a century ago, I was stationed at NAS Moffett Field in Sunnyvale, California. One of my fellow U.S. Navy photographer shipmates had at one time, been stationed in Washington, D.C.

He took this photograph and allowed me to print my own 8x10 copy of it off of the original 35mm B&W negative. To have actually held this negative in my hand was an amazing feeling. It’s Caroline Kennedy leaving Sunday Mass with her father, President John F. Kennedy. It has always held a special place on my office wall for most of my adult life.

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing it. A real time capsule.

Attached Images

Views: 424
07-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a touching piece of history!
07-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Made my day, Dewey. What a marvelous photo to own!

Jer
07-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is truly a treasure to have that photograph! Thanks for sharing!

07-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice blast from the past.
07-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you know what the date was on this? I was wondering how close this was to his assassination.
07-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do you know what the date was on this? I was wondering how close this was to his assassination.

I printed the photograph in 1965.... so, it was after the assassination (22 Nov. 1963). I have no idea what date the actual photo was taken.

I thought it was interesting that if you look closely at the man at the far left, in the tweed-looking jacket, it appears that he has some sort of sub machinegun under his jacket.
07-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was 2 years old. In the yrs before I was in school I remember family speaking of it.

07-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I was 2 years old. In the yrs before I was in school I remember family speaking of it.

For those of us old enough to remember the actual day the assassination took place, it's a time we will always remember where we were, what we were doing and who we were with. Such a terrible national tragedy. So many conspiracy theories, but no one will ever convince me that LHO pulled it off alone, with that old POS rifle and scope! This statement was not meant to start an argument or any conflict. Just the humble opinion of a man who many consider a true, bonafide marksman.
07-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
For those of us old enough to remember the actual day the assassination took place, it's a time we will always remember where we were, what we were doing and who we were with. Such a terrible national tragedy. So many conspiracy theories, but no one will ever convince me that LHO pulled it off alone, with that old POS rifle and scope! This statement was not meant to start an argument or any conflict. Just the humble opinion of a man who many consider a true, bonafide marksman.
On a related note. A friend spent years researching this and loaned his notes to someone. This was precomputer days. The someone lost all the notes!
07-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Six Degrees of Separation
I love great shots of famous people going about their daily life.