Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Learning about portraits (2 photos)
Posted By: jamonation, 09-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Curious what people think about these, I'm pleased with them. K10D with Super Takumar 50mm f1.4, both at f2.8. The lens is one of the radioactive takumars and is somewhat yellowed, in this case I like the different contrast that it creates than just my plain FA 50mm (adjusting for white balance of course). Of course the second is landscape, but I like the directionality created by the mortar and bricks. I'd put these in the critique forum, but I don't think anyone would see them

Views: 1,289
09-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You seemed to have captured the subject quite nicely (focus seems bang on, enough detail with the subject to interest the eye, but not even to invade). The only thought that I offer is to be careful about the white wall. The blown out portions of the white wall complete with the subject. I do agree that the motar lines seems to work (probably leading the eye to the subject).
You might want to play around with a layer mack in PS and introduce a warming filter to the subject, leaving the background as is. This would give the subject a bit more separatation from the wall and should allow it to compete.

Last edited by spyglass; 09-14-2008 at 10:41 PM.
09-15-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The second catches my eye

cheers
09-15-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, a warm filter might add a touch skin tone to this beautiful lady.

09-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, I like those ideas, thanks for the feedback all. Might like to try a night shot against a darker brick wall too. Found that with a very light natural complexion finding a background that didn't make her skin look unhealthily pale was difficult, didn't even think to check for blown highlights

Much fun, lots to learn, think it's time I picked up that book by Yousuf Karsh I saw used for $5.
09-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have trouble with the horizontal lines in #1, pulls the eye to the right but she is looking left. And for a B&W I'd like to see a bit more contrast to pull her away from the wall,
FHPhotographer
09-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

i actually really like the second image for its cold colours. There is a lot of atmosphere. Maybe enhance that my increasing the contrast or some such, im not sure, but warm warm warm isnt always the way to go. It depends how you want the viewer to feel, and i think she has quite a cold and thoughtful expression so you should mirror that.

09-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

The first image is decent, but the brick lines compete with the direction of the model's gaze. I also feel like the the model is leaning heavy to one side.

The second image is very good. I like the desaturated look of the image...and how the face/hair competes with the wall and sweater (warm vrs cool). The only cc I would have for this image would be to have the models eyes following the lines of the brick...rather than looking down....just for some continuity.

Thanks for sharing!

c[_]
09-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, more feedback, thanks all. Guess the other thing I've learned here is that going back to reshoot is inevitable for some photos, hopefully I can try again with similar light later this week