Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
American Freedom Train
Posted By: reh321, 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM

In 1975 a group put together a train which spent the next year touring the United States celebrating the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, with various artifacts and displays. My brother and I arranged to intercept the train at several points as it passed through South Bend. Here I show it passing through Union Station and later going up a freight-only spur to the back of a high school property where it sat for a day so people could go through the train and look at the displays.

Today Amtrak stops at a shack on the edge of town, the former Union Station is used by an Internet company, the freight spur has been torn up, and the high school was torn down last year.

Attached Images

Views: 1,742
07-14-2018, 12:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I live and drive or walk quite often on the rail bed that was the lifeline of Whitney in logging days. My friend Paul remembers when the train was the only way in and out. Then the highway was built, his younger sister Leona remembers using the abandoned train station to play house in.
What has happen to a number of the disused railway lines here is that they have been turned into public walk, jogging and cycle ways for recreation purposes and old stations turned into restaurants with parking areas and the like, very popular.

One of the strangest rail lines was the Lartigue which ran from Listowel to Ballybunnion, it was a monorail with carriages sort of split to hang on both sides of the rail, apparently you had to balance the load hence the storey of a cow on one side and two calves on the other, a very short section of this has been restored.

07-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really like that second shot - well done.

Jer
07-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took the train from Indianapolis to Chicago when I was 3 or four and that was it for me and train rides until a few years ago.

Huntsville train addendum - PentaxForums.com

The Huntsville Ontario train... - PentaxForums.com

Evidence of Steam Travel - PentaxForums.com

From the world's shortest railway. Once it was to carry the baggage from the steamers on two adjacent lakes on a short portage between the lake. SO it's not even mile long. Now tourists ride it for fun.