Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Erie Canal
Posted By: reh321, 07-14-2018, 08:23 PM

Three weeks ago today my wife and I were returning to New England for a meeting she wanted to attend. I say "returning" because we lived there for seven years, and each year we made this trip two or three times, so we thought we were familiar with the route, but then in New York we saw this park we'd never seen before - so we just had to stop. It turned out that recently New York had built a new park around the remains of an old Erie Canal lock. The pictures below are

1. Visitor Center

2. model of what lock looked like when in use

3. lock today

4. tavern and other buildings near the lock for the convenience of people traveling on the canal

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 365
07-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting, I should have been there.
07-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Such a famous part of our history but so rarely mentioned or shown after grade school history classes. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Next time I am near there I will stop in.
07-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Such a famous part of our history but so rarely mentioned or shown after grade school history classes. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Next time I am near there I will stop in.
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Interesting, I should have been there.
Thank you for your comments

07-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

That canal was the lifeblood of New York
07-16-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Staubach Quote
That canal was the lifeblood of New York
In another thread I talked about how Pennsylvania competed with New York. The Allegheny Portage Railroad, which hauled barges up and down slopes, was supposed to compete with the Erie Canal. Pennsylvania Railroad competed with New York Central Railroad. Pennsylvania Turnpike competes with New York ThruWay. "Water level" route through New York is longer, but Pennsylvania has mountains to contend with. I wonder if "water level" route from Hudson River to Lake Erie is why NYC won out over Philadelphia as primary city in the area.

Last edited by reh321; 07-16-2018 at 01:13 PM.
07-16-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In another thread I talked about how Pennsylvania competed with New York. The Allegheny Portage Railroad, which hauled barges up and down slopes, was supposed to compete with the Erie Canal. Pennsylvania Railroad competed with New York Central Railroad. Pennsylvania Turnpike competes with New York ThruWay. "Water level" route through New York is longer, but Pennsylvania has mountains to contend with. I wonder if "water level" route from Hudson River to Lake Erie is why NYC won out over Philadelphia as primary city in the area.
I think it was a combination of that, the St. Lawrence River, and closer proximity to the ocean. And you are right, geology plays a role in how they were constructed. Much of the Erie Canal was through sedimentary rocks, instead of metamorphic.

Cool subject

Last edited by Staubach; 07-16-2018 at 02:59 PM.