Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
383 Chrome.
Lens: DA 18-135mm WR Camera: K-70 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: DW58, 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM

I liked the contrast between black paint and chrome. Thanks for looking.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 437
07-16-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 6,230
Very nice photo of engine badging on the '62 Chevy.

As you know a 383 Chevy small block V8 wasn't available in a '62 Bowtie, just the two small block V8's...283 and 327 (new for that year) and of course the big block W series...the fabulous 4-0-9 !

The 383 is a 350 Chevy with a 400 crank and some other mods. These 383's are known for making good torque. We had a '76 Chevy Impala for 21 straight years in our family and although the 350 cube V8 that came with it was still in fine shape..at one point I thought about making it into a 383. The 383 is known as a torque monster for it's displacement and we were towing with the old Impala at the time.
07-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 21,619
Really nice detail shot, Dave.

Your recent photos give me the itch to do some automotive photography, but there's not too much opportunity. Local daytime auto shows have pretty much died off for the very hot summer. There are some small evening gatherings, but I always seem to be busy with something else or I simply forget when they are.

I'll have to wait for autumn for stuff to rev up (pun intended) again.

Jer
07-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
DW58's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,081
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice photo of engine badging on the '62 Chevy.

As you know a 383 Chevy small block V8 wasn't available in a '62 Bowtie, just the two small block V8's...283 and 327 (new for that year) and of course the big block W series...the fabulous 4-0-9 !

The 383 is a 350 Chevy with a 400 crank and some other mods. These 383's are known for making good torque. We had a '76 Chevy Impala for 21 straight years in our family and although the 350 cube V8 that came with it was still in fine shape..at one point I thought about making it into a 383. The 383 is known as a torque monster for it's displacement and we were towing with the old Impala at the time.
Yeah all that info is fine and dandy but I like the two flags thingy.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Really nice detail shot, Dave.

Your recent photos give me the itch to do some automotive photography, but there's not too much opportunity. Local daytime auto shows have pretty much died off for the very hot summer. There are some small evening gatherings, but I always seem to be busy with something else or I simply forget when they are.

I'll have to wait for autumn for stuff to rev up (pun intended) again.

Jer
Taking photos of the old cars and trucks at the 4th of July parade was a lot of fun. Local school had their annual "Show and Shine" last Saturday. We've gone for years for the pancake breakfast, silent auction and other events to help support the school district. And Carol is the 4th grade teacher so it's almost mandatory anyway. Always seems to be plenty of photo ops at these events. Hope you can track some down. Thanks for your comment Jer.

07-16-2018, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,485
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice photo of engine badging on the '62 Chevy.

As you know a 383 Chevy small block V8 wasn't available in a '62 Bowtie, just the two small block V8's...283 and 327 (new for that year) and of course the big block W series...the fabulous 4-0-9 !

The 383 is a 350 Chevy with a 400 crank and some other mods. These 383's are known for making good torque. We had a '76 Chevy Impala for 21 straight years in our family and although the 350 cube V8 that came with it was still in fine shape..at one point I thought about making it into a 383. The 383 is known as a torque monster for it's displacement and we were towing with the old Impala at the time.
My father had a 63 Impala convertible with bucket seats and the floor shifter for the auto trans - and a third monaural speaker in the center of the rear bench seat. It was red over black with a black top and had SS wheelcovers WITH the center dome that clicked. IIRC it was a 327. In what I viewed (and still do) as a particularly cruel move, he sold that car when I was 15 3/4 years old.
07-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
DW58's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,081
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
he sold that car when I was 15 3/4 years old.
That is what was once known as a major bummer.
07-16-2018, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 21,619
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
.............. he sold that car when I was 15 3/4 years old.
A low blow, indeed.

Jer
07-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,485
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
That is what was once known as a major bummer.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A low blow, indeed.

Jer
OTOH I the VW Squareback I acquired had a fold-down rear seat.

07-17-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33,824
Now that is a Beast so Chrome and Black suit this unit
07-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
DW58's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,081
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OTOH I the VW Squareback I acquired had a fold-down rear seat.
I get it. Provided a place to sleep on long road trips.
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Now that is a Beast so Chrome and Black suit this unit
She was a beauty. Her surroundings were less than ideal to put it mildly so passed on a shot of the entire car.
07-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 6,230
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My father had a 63 Impala convertible with bucket seats and the floor shifter for the auto trans - and a third monaural speaker in the center of the rear bench seat. It was red over black with a black top and had SS wheelcovers WITH the center dome that clicked. IIRC it was a 327. In what I viewed (and still do) as a particularly cruel move, he sold that car when I was 15 3/4 years old.
So you were a 15 3/4 years old young guy and your dad sold his '63 Impala convertible with the powerful 327 cube V8. Hmmmnnn...I think.... your dad was a very wise man.

Your tale of woe reminds me of a similar situation. A number of years ago, we bought a new Toyota Matrix. Unlike your dad's Impala 327, the Matrix wasn't very powerful. The Matrix was to be my wife's commuter car to work, practical, economical, good utility.

Our son was going to be 16 and had just got his driver's license and the Matrix was the family car he would be able to use when he needed a car. He's a good driver and was then, but at 16 years old...well a young guy can be a...how do I put this...an ' enthusiastic' driver.

So there we are, my wife and I with her brand new Matrix...hardly any miles on it and I believe that it's always a good thing to break in a vehicle. We decided to go on a brief trip to North Dakota...to put on about 500 miles or so.

We got to the U.S. border and the American customs agent asked the usual questions. One of which what is the purpose of your trip. To which I answered two fold, one is to visit Fargo. The other reason is that our son will soon be 16 years old and just got his license. This is a new car and we want to give the car a fighting chance by putting some break in miles on the car, before he gets his hands on it. The customs agent got a good laugh out of it...and I said, sounds to me like maybe your a father too, with a son that just got his license. He replied...exactly.
07-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Dewman's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 5,359
And all this time I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about all things Chevrolet! Did NOT know about the 383 CID Chevy! I had a 383 in a 65 Plymouth Satellite. A real screamer.
07-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 6,230
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
And all this time I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about all things Chevrolet! Did NOT know about the 383 CID Chevy! I had a 383 in a 65 Plymouth Satellite. A real screamer.
Chevy 383 has never been offered by the Chevrolet factory in a car, just as a factory crate motor. I think it started as a hot rod engine when someone came up with the idea of putting a 400 small block Chevy crank in a 350 Chevy V8 It has become popular with those looking to replace their small block Chevy engines (265, 283, 327, 350, etc.) ...with a small block with more displacement and more torque.

Quite a few engine shops and performance shops offer this version of a small block Chevy V8.

Your 383 in your '65 Plymouth was an engine offered by Mopar in a number of their cars. The 383/335 hp version in the late '60's Roadrunner and Super Bee was a very good high performance engine.
07-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
DW58's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,081
Original Poster
I have nothing to add here. Only an opportunity to add one more post toward the goal and bump my pic to the top of the page. And imagine my surprise when I saw 7 likes associated with this post but only 3 were for my shot of the car.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekly Challenge Winners Weekly Challenge #383 "Lost" jchorst Weekly Photo Challenges 13 04-11-2017 05:01 AM
Weekly Challenge Weekly Challenge #383 "Lost" jchorst Weekly Photo Challenges 31 04-06-2017 02:29 PM
For Sale - Sold: K20d with Battery Grip and extra battery + Vivitar 383 Flash mrdfred Sold Items 5 11-05-2011 09:33 PM
Chrome Glorious Chrome UltraWide Post Your Photos! 9 08-23-2009 05:43 AM
sunpak 383 vs. vivitar 285hv hll Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 12 03-10-2008 01:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top