Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
383 Chrome.
Lens: DA 18-135mm WR Camera: K-70 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: DW58, 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM

I liked the contrast between black paint and chrome. Thanks for looking.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 704
07-16-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Very nice photo of engine badging on the '62 Chevy.

As you know a 383 Chevy small block V8 wasn't available in a '62 Bowtie, just the two small block V8's...283 and 327 (new for that year) and of course the big block W series...the fabulous 4-0-9 !

The 383 is a 350 Chevy with a 400 crank and some other mods. These 383's are known for making good torque. We had a '76 Chevy Impala for 21 straight years in our family and although the 350 cube V8 that came with it was still in fine shape..at one point I thought about making it into a 383. The 383 is known as a torque monster for it's displacement and we were towing with the old Impala at the time.
07-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really nice detail shot, Dave.

Your recent photos give me the itch to do some automotive photography, but there's not too much opportunity. Local daytime auto shows have pretty much died off for the very hot summer. There are some small evening gatherings, but I always seem to be busy with something else or I simply forget when they are.

I'll have to wait for autumn for stuff to rev up (pun intended) again.

Jer
07-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

As you know a 383 Chevy small block V8 wasn't available in a '62 Bowtie, just the two small block V8's...283 and 327 (new for that year) and of course the big block W series...the fabulous 4-0-9 !

The 383 is a 350 Chevy with a 400 crank and some other mods. These 383's are known for making good torque. We had a '76 Chevy Impala for 21 straight years in our family and although the 350 cube V8 that came with it was still in fine shape..at one point I thought about making it into a 383. The 383 is known as a torque monster for it's displacement and we were towing with the old Impala at the time.
Yeah all that info is fine and dandy but I like the two flags thingy.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Really nice detail shot, Dave.

Your recent photos give me the itch to do some automotive photography, but there's not too much opportunity. Local daytime auto shows have pretty much died off for the very hot summer. There are some small evening gatherings, but I always seem to be busy with something else or I simply forget when they are.

I'll have to wait for autumn for stuff to rev up (pun intended) again.

Jer
Taking photos of the old cars and trucks at the 4th of July parade was a lot of fun. Local school had their annual "Show and Shine" last Saturday. We've gone for years for the pancake breakfast, silent auction and other events to help support the school district. And Carol is the 4th grade teacher so it's almost mandatory anyway. Always seems to be plenty of photo ops at these events. Hope you can track some down. Thanks for your comment Jer.

07-16-2018, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

My father had a ‘63 Impala convertible with bucket seats and the floor shifter for the auto trans - and a third monaural speaker in the center of the rear bench seat. It was red over black with a black top and had SS wheelcovers WITH the center dome that clicked. IIRC it was a 327. In what I viewed (and still do) as a particularly cruel move, he sold that car when I was 15 3/4 years old.
07-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
he sold that car when I was 15 3/4 years old.
That is what was once known as a major bummer.
07-16-2018, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.............. he sold that car when I was 15 3/4 years old.
A low blow, indeed.

Jer

07-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
That is what was once known as a major bummer.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A low blow, indeed.

Jer
OTOH I the VW Squareback I acquired had a fold-down rear seat.
07-17-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that is a Beast so Chrome and Black suit this unit
07-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OTOH I the VW Squareback I acquired had a fold-down rear seat.
I get it. Provided a place to sleep on long road trips.
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Now that is a Beast so Chrome and Black suit this unit
She was a beauty. Her surroundings were less than ideal to put it mildly so passed on a shot of the entire car.
07-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My father had a ‘63 Impala convertible with bucket seats and the floor shifter for the auto trans - and a third monaural speaker in the center of the rear bench seat. It was red over black with a black top and had SS wheelcovers WITH the center dome that clicked. IIRC it was a 327. In what I viewed (and still do) as a particularly cruel move, he sold that car when I was 15 3/4 years old.
So you were a 15 3/4 years old young guy and your dad sold his '63 Impala convertible with the powerful 327 cube V8. Hmmmnnn...I think.... your dad was a very wise man.

Your tale of woe reminds me of a similar situation. A number of years ago, we bought a new Toyota Matrix. Unlike your dad's Impala 327, the Matrix wasn't very powerful. The Matrix was to be my wife's commuter car to work, practical, economical, good utility.

Our son was going to be 16 and had just got his driver's license and the Matrix was the family car he would be able to use when he needed a car. He's a good driver and was then, but at 16 years old...well a young guy can be a...how do I put this...an ' enthusiastic' driver.

So there we are, my wife and I with her brand new Matrix...hardly any miles on it and I believe that it's always a good thing to break in a vehicle. We decided to go on a brief trip to North Dakota...to put on about 500 miles or so.

We got to the U.S. border and the American customs agent asked the usual questions. One of which what is the purpose of your trip. To which I answered two fold, one is to visit Fargo. The other reason is that our son will soon be 16 years old and just got his license. This is a new car and we want to give the car a fighting chance by putting some break in miles on the car, before he gets his hands on it. The customs agent got a good laugh out of it...and I said, sounds to me like maybe your a father too, with a son that just got his license. He replied...exactly.
07-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

And all this time I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about all things Chevrolet! Did NOT know about the 383 CID Chevy! I had a 383 in a 65 Plymouth Satellite. A real screamer.
07-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
And all this time I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about all things Chevrolet! Did NOT know about the 383 CID Chevy! I had a 383 in a 65 Plymouth Satellite. A real screamer.
Chevy 383 has never been offered by the Chevrolet factory in a car, just as a factory crate motor. I think it started as a hot rod engine when someone came up with the idea of putting a 400 small block Chevy crank in a 350 Chevy V8 It has become popular with those looking to replace their small block Chevy engines (265, 283, 327, 350, etc.) ...with a small block with more displacement and more torque.

Quite a few engine shops and performance shops offer this version of a small block Chevy V8.

Your 383 in your '65 Plymouth was an engine offered by Mopar in a number of their cars. The 383/335 hp version in the late '60's Roadrunner and Super Bee was a very good high performance engine.
07-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have nothing to add here. Only an opportunity to add one more post toward the goal and bump my pic to the top of the page. And imagine my surprise when I saw 7 likes associated with this post but only 3 were for my shot of the car.