Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rest in pieces, little board
Lens: Reversed, handheld, SMC Pentax 50mm 1:2 f/2 Camera: Pentax K-M Photo Location: Spain ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s 
Posted By: CapitanXeon, 07-18-2018, 04:45 PM

I had to look around a CPU socket which had a pin ripped off. Unfortunately, the pin was critical so new board.
Nevertheless, there's always a chance for a "RIP" photo.

I took it with the reversed lens technique, but as i don't have the accessory yet, i have to manage to get the camera and the lens together by hand. Fortunately, the 50mm prime is light and small!

Attached Images

Views: 394
07-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't have a lens - say a telephoto lens - with a "macro" setting?
07-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You don't have a lens - say a telephoto lens - with a "macro" setting?
Nope, i have a Pentax 50-200 which needs a whole meter to be able to focus, and this 50mm which can focus at 45cm. Btw the photo has been taken at like 4 or 5cm, so i just ordered the reverser ring for this. I mean, is and old prime lens, i don't have to worry about digital communication because it doesn't exist in first place. So the ring will be okay.
12-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
I had to look around a CPU socket which had a pin ripped off. Unfortunately, the pin was critical so new board.
Nevertheless, there's always a chance for a "RIP" photo.

I took it with the reversed lens technique, but as i don't have the accessory yet, i have to manage to get the camera and the lens together by hand. Fortunately, the 50mm prime is light and small!
From one geek to another, I really appreciate this photo!

Reminds me of when I bent one pin on a similar socket. I had to take my phone camera, zoom in as far as it can go, take the smallest tweezers I could find, and every so gently bend it back in place. I actually did end up fixing it and got my 2nd Xeon installed as planned. Oh, the good o'l days!

12-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice shot, love the color.
12-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
From one geek to another, I really appreciate this photo!

Reminds me of when I bent one pin on a similar socket. I had to take my phone camera, zoom in as far as it can go, take the smallest tweezers I could find, and every so gently bend it back in place. I actually did end up fixing it and got my 2nd Xeon installed as planned. Oh, the good o'l days!
Those f***ers are a pain back there! I've recovered maybe one or two boards out of abyss, one just got damage on GND pins so ripped them out to avoid shorts, and another one got me like hours bending pins back and it worked back to life but with a dead RAM channel. Coincidentally, it's the board i'm using to store my pictures, so i got a pretty sturdy storage on there if anything goes wrong!