Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sunday Was an incredible day
Posted By: skinja, 09-15-2008, 10:49 PM

I live about an hour and a half from one of the most beautiful spots in Washington state. My wife and I headed up to MT Baker ski resort around noon, we stopped at a couple of very cool spots on the way but unfortunately the photos didn't do the view justice.

We finally got up to the ski resort around 3 pm.

Pictures are in the reply I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for looking.

John
Views: 3,337
09-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Picture lake and artist point are beautiful. I have lived in this area for over 20 years and this was only my second time up during the summer.

trebbuilder's slideshow on Flickr

If you have time take a look at the slide show.

Once the light went low I did bracket 5 shot sets. If any some one has good skill in HDR and would like a chance to play with them I would love to see what you come up with. I followed one of the links and started playing with a program that Bert posted. I also re-added that post to mine.

"I've tried several HDR tools by now, including Photomatix pro 3.0 and Photoshop CS3.
The one which seems to suit me best (I'm a control freak I guess, I like the triangle sliders, and the preview is better) is FDRTools Basic 2.2.
The beauty is that it is also for free.
FDRTools - High Dynamic Range HDR Imaging Digital Panorama Photography Freeware
Nice work by the way, I like them.

- Bert

CC always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

John

Last edited by skinja; 09-16-2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Duplicate picture
09-16-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
Damn Brit

You lucky devil John.
What beautiful scenery and you have captured it really well, thanks for posting.
BTW, what inconsiderate SOB put that red car there? Lucky it's right on the edge.
09-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This last one is really nice. Beatiful view.

09-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It does look like an incredible place.

You seem to have posted the same photo for no.2 and no.3, and personally, I think you have a tad too much foreground in that photo. I do wonder how the photos would work with a wider aspect ratio, e.g. 16:9 or 2:1
09-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
It does look like an incredible place.

You seem to have posted the same photo for no.2 and no.3, and personally, I think you have a tad too much foreground in that photo. I do wonder how the photos would work with a wider aspect ratio, e.g. 16:9 or 2:1
You're right about the crop, I was so stunned by the scenery, I didn't really look at it technically apart from the car. I would crop out the car and crop the bottom to put the reddish plant in the bottom left corner.
09-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

completely beautiful view you had there! thanks for sharing!

09-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice

top stuff

Neil
09-16-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Excellent shots and exposures you got there! Unfortunate that those cars ruin the 2nd and 3rd shots, thus I'll pick the first one as my favorite shot. Few weeks ago I had a place nearly as magnificent as this in my sight but some jerk had parked his caravan so that it woud have appeared in one of the critical thirds of the frame. Some people do not think that much which is a shame.

These images could be ruined by aggressive HDR processing. Perfect as they are.
09-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A pristine series of a beautiful part of our world

cheers
09-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots. I actually have to say something about the cars. I would lose the grey car but really like the red car in the shot. I think it adds something. Of course that is just me.
09-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feed back

I appreciate your guy's input, the photos are pretty much straight out of the camera with some minor lightroom adjustments, I have'nt played with crop yet.

As far as the HDR I am looking for a real subtle merge of the bracketed shots, unfortunatly I am not versed in photoshop or any of the HDR programs. Whatever changes I make are usually done in Lightroom, I did down load the free soft ware (FDRTools - High Dynamic Range HDR Imaging Digital Panorama Photography Freeware) I was not really impressed with the results that I got in my first go around with the program, but I am sure it was just my abillity at this point.

Work is really getting in the way of my hobbies!!

Thanks for looking

John
09-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
MrA

The colours in those shots are unbelievable. Just so very lush and bright! Great.
09-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Absolutely amazing pictures. My favorite is the first one.
09-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Georgeous pictures!! My older son and his family lives in Olympia, WA. I can only imagine what the weather will be like in 3-4 weeks.

The first time I ever strapped on skis (1964) was on Mt. Baker. I was in the Navy and stationed at NAS WHidbey Island (Oak Harbor, WA).