Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
The Eagle Nebula and the Pillars of Creation (M16)
Lens: Ts 910 mm F7.0 Camera: K3ii Photo Location: Home balcony ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s 
Posted By: Pete_XL, 07-20-2018, 12:55 AM

The Eagle Nebula (M16) is a large emission nebula in the constellation Serpens. It contains the famous star forming region known as "The Pillars of Creation". The object is about 7000 lightyears away from Earth.
55 x 180s at Iso 400

Full version here:
Views: 954
07-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just too indescribable for words. Too brilliant and awesome. Thank you.

TT
07-20-2018, 01:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
The Eagle Nebula (M16) is a large emission nebula in the constellation Serpens. It contains the famous star forming region known as "The Pillars of Creation". The object is about 7000 lightyears away from Earth.
55 x 180s at Iso 400

Full version here:
Wow, that is really nice!
Would it be possible to describe your technique in a few rows, cause i am really curious (i like space and the stars and would like to shoot them sometimes), and other equipment used (astrotraces or orbital mount, etc).

Thanks for sharing.
07-20-2018, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Wow, that is really nice!
Would it be possible to describe your technique in a few rows, cause i am really curious (i like space and the stars and would like to shoot them sometimes), and other equipment used (astrotraces or orbital mount, etc).

Thanks for sharing.

Deep Sky astro images are principally derived from a series of long exposures that are stacked in special software (freeware or payware). The stacked image is then processed in an adequate Program like Photoshop, Pixinsight etc. I shot 55 images of 180 s exposure at ISO 400 for the Eagle Nebula in that night.

I started with fine old analog Pentax lenses from the 80s. Nowadays I use a 480 mm and a 910 mm telescope and my K3ii. Meanwhile I have a lot of other stuff that you can see below. But don't be terrified - not all of this is necessary but for my convenience and to remote control the setup.

You could start to explore the deep space with the astrotracer from a tripod like i did 4 years ago. This is good for a 10 x prolongation of the exposure time to avoid trailing stars. Astrotracer makes sense with lenses up to 200 mm fl in my opinion and excellent for wide angle starscapes with the Milky Way. If you stay in the game you might want to upgrade the equipment after a year or so. The next step would be to acquire a (german equatorial) mount to be able to use longer lenses/telescopes and maybe add some autoguiding equipment.

If you are interested in astroimaging things you might visit our astrophotograpy group here in PentaxForums. We would be pleased to help you into the saddle.

Cheers
Pete

07-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Just too indescribable for words. Too brilliant and awesome. Thank you.

TT
Thank you for your kind words, Tony!

Cheers
Pete
07-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing. Both the image and your gear. Congratulations.
07-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice! Did the image need any type of deconvolution application?

07-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Forum Member

Good work!!!
07-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent image. You certainly got all the H-alpha on this one. This is with your unmodded K-3ii? Are you adding a filter for some of your subs?

Thanks.
07-20-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your friendly comments, guys
QuoteOriginally posted by Eddie75 Quote
Good work!!!
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Amazing. Both the image and your gear. Congratulations.
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Excellent image. You certainly got all the H-alpha on this one. This is with your unmodded K-3ii? Are you adding a filter for some of your subs?
Thanks.
Yes, Ted, it is a normal K3ii. I do not want to use a modified cam. I would prefer photograph with a dedicated astrocam instead if I wanted more Ha signal. But then I would have to leave our nice PentaxForums astrophotography group .
QuoteOriginally posted by Staubach Quote
Nice! Did the image need any type of deconvolution application?
I processed the image in Photoshop. I did nor use a dedicated deconvolution algorythm or special software. I like to do some highpass sharpening in the end of the process. Sometimes (very seldom) I use Focus Magic. And sometimes (not here but in e. g. in the Veil Nebula image) it is necessary to reduce the dominance of the stars .
07-20-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen a magnified version of this on the Nasa site for the Hubble telescope before, but the ideal that this can be achieved with a K-3ii and some admittedly dedicated kit (and obviously) user skill really blows me away. TFS.
07-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I've seen a magnified version of this on the Nasa site for the Hubble telescope before, but the ideal that this can be achieved with a K-3ii and some admittedly dedicated kit (and obviously) user skill really blows me away. TFS.
Pretty amazing what another benefit of digital imaging for the masses has brought hobbyists of Astronomy as well as photography buffs. Amazing image!
07-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote

Thanks.
......no filters, Ted.