Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
A Novice
Lens: Sigma 300mm f2.8 EX DG APO Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: Pacific Raceways ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Racer X 69, 07-22-2018, 09:17 AM

The IRDC hosted ICSCC meet, July 2018. A novice hustles his Porsche 914 Six, between turn 8 and turn 9 at the Pacific Raceways road course. This guy is a second generation Conference racer, his parents were among the group that founded the ICSCC in the 1950's.

Views: 1,078
07-22-2018, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good shot Racer! nice one
07-22-2018, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Good shot Racer! nice one
Thanks!
07-22-2018, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Nice photo of an older Porsche in action. I remember when the 914/6 and 914/4 first came out...very late '60's If my grey matter is right. I liked both, but of course the flat 6 has more punch and you don't see many of either anymore. Too bad, unique design.

Looking at your picture...I like the tire setup...looks a little wider at the back. With the rear boxer engine and low to the ground profile and 'tired' the way it is...wonder how this sportscar handles...does it need a skillful touch at the steering wheel ? Competitive ?

07-22-2018, 10:32 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice photo of an older Porsche in action.
Thanks Les.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Looking at your picture...I like the tire setup...looks a little wider at the back. With the rear boxer engine and low to the ground profile and 'tired' the way it is...wonder how this sportscar handles...does it need a skillful touch at the steering wheel ? Competitive ?
They handle like a go cart.

I've driven one of these (not this one) and they are a ball to drive. Go in deep, get off the brakes and squeeze the throttle, often getting flat before the apex. Track out on exit, and the car squirts very hard to the next corner.

Point the steering wheel where you want to go and floor it.

Great fun!
07-22-2018, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thanks Les.

I've driven one of these (not this one) and they are a ball to drive. Go in deep, get off the brakes and squeeze the throttle, often getting flat before the apex. Track out on exit, and the car squirts very hard to the next corner.

Great fun!
Sounds like great fun. Wish Porsche had continued to make them rather than stopping production on this model. I'm a great fan of the 911 (also 356) and I think the 914, especially the 6 could of been one of those long running models.
07-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding shot, my friend!

The 914-6 is a rare bird - I think I've seen only one of them in my life. However, I test drove a new 914-4 back in 1970 and sampled that mid-engine balance; I didn't buy the car for a variety of reasons, but it planted a seed that stayed with me until I bought my first Boxster in 2009.

Thanks for posting this terrific pic.

Jer

07-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Outstanding shot, my friend!

Thanks for posting this terrific pic.

Jer
You're very welcome Jer!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
The 914-6 is a rare bird - I think I've seen only one of them in my life.
Years ago there was a guy in Portland, Oregon wedging Chevy V-8 engines into 914 Porsche's. Ground pounding go karts!
07-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would like to add a plug for the autofocus of my camera/lens combo. Nearly every shot I made was perfectly focused, and nearly every perfectly focused shot was focused where I wanted it to be.

Who says Pentax cameras aren't good for action shots?
07-23-2018, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice, and surprising, to see a 914 photograph here
I had to give this a "thumbs up", as a 914-6* owner myself.

*conversion car. I performed the six conversion in 1987, ~350K miles ago.
Mine is a narrow body street car with a 2.4L 911T engine, not a 'racer'.
I drive it all the time.

Last edited by Moe49; 07-25-2018 at 10:02 AM.
08-15-2018, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The IRDC hosted ICSCC meet, July 2018. A novice hustles his Porsche 914 Six, between turn 8 and turn 9 at the Pacific Raceways road course. This guy is a second generation Conference racer, his parents were among the group that founded the ICSCC in the 1950's.

Very nice!
I wish they had something besides ovals around here, even if "nascar" did start here and the Woods brothers invented the fast pit-stop a few miles up the road, it's gotten too politicized and commercialized to no end which turns me off to the whole thing. Make them carry moonshine and I'll come back, and maybe I'll even get the old Malibu out and load it up for a run(kidding).

After traveling all over as a kid, I ended up here and grew up driving these windy old mountain roads so the whole left turn thing makes me yawn a bit. VIR is the closest road course but too far away for me.
08-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #12
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Very nice!
I wish they had something besides ovals around here, even if "nascar" did start here and the Woods brothers invented the fast pit-stop a few miles up the road, it's gotten too politicized and commercialized to no end which turns me off to the whole thing. Make them carry moonshine and I'll come back, and maybe I'll even get the old Malibu out and load it up for a run(kidding).

After traveling all over as a kid, I ended up here and grew up driving these windy old mountain roads so the whole left turn thing makes me yawn a bit. VIR is the closest road course but too far away for me.
Thanks for the comments.

There are lots of road courses in the Southeast. The larger oval tracks have road courses integrated into the oval, on the infield, and some extend outside of the oval.

Charlotte and Daytona both have road courses.

There is also Road Atlanta, Northeast of Atlanta. A world class road course.

Alabama has Talladega, which also has a road course (although I doubt it sees much use), and there is Barber Motorsports Park just outside of Birmingham.

There are more, I'm just drawing a blank right now.
08-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Great fun!
So this is the perfect car for a novice to get started in?
08-15-2018, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #14
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So this is the perfect car for a novice to get started in?
I don't know that it is the 'perfect' car, but it would get the job done.

I did my novice program in the same car I still own, and won a championship with in 1997.

08-16-2018, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #15

I don't know that it is the 'perfect' car, but it would get the job done.

I did my novice program in the same car I still own, and won a championship with in 1997.

Very nice capture! brings back a lot of memories, use to have a 1972 914/4 it was a short time (mostly restoring - repairing it) but I enjoyed a lot.
Thanks for showing.