Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sunpak DX 8R Flash
Lens: Pentax SMC-F 100mm F2.8 Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Milton, ON ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Vulcaninkman, 07-23-2018, 07:00 PM

This is just a note - I have an old Sunpak DX 8R ring flash that I used for ages with my Pentax SF-1 film camera and 100 mm macro lens. I haven't used it at all since I got my K-3, so tonight, I thought I would give it a whirl. I was expecting to have to use it in manual mode and fiddle around with power levels to get the correct exposure. I tried the TTL mode. To my pleasant surprise, some shots I took at different distances all turned out with pretty much the correct exposure. (I always use the ring flash off-axis, which creates a nicer image as the ring flash becomes the macro equivalent of a softbox when off-axis) I was looking more at the exposure. As I was hand holding both the flash and the camera, I realize that my focus and compositions could be better. This is more or less just to see how the exposure would come out. I need to experiment further with this.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 656
07-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have that flash and I'm really confused since ttl mode on that Combo shouldn't work. I haven't actually tried mine in atl mode however.