Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Great Orion Nebula.
Lens: William Optics ZS 71 ED w FLAT6a Camera: K3II Photo Location: Kamloops ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4.7 
Posted By: aitrus3, 07-27-2018, 07:42 AM

Here is a shot of Orion's great Nebula I did last winter before my tracking mount started giving me some major issues. I've since discovered what those issues are and once I get the funds, I'll be able to fix it.

Views: 685
07-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot.
07-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #3

Nicely done!
07-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wow, very nice

07-28-2018, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Here is a shot of Orion's great Nebula I did last winter before my tracking mount started giving me some major issues. I've since discovered what those issues are and once I get the funds, I'll be able to fix it.
nice shot! I really hope to shoot this myself soon! good one!
07-28-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #6

nice shot!!!
08-16-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

woot! Bit of running man in there too and the bit I've heard referred to as the bass mouth. This is the other one of those that the hot core makes so difficult. Personally I like the heat depicted more than have a full trapezium visible. It just seems more natural that way for some reason. Probably the way most folks mask at a set point to include it, similar to hdr shots.
My attempts look pretty horrible and I scratched out this year too due to a late fall rebuild/redesign of my diy rig gone awry. I'll get it next time though!

08-16-2018, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really don't find the cores to be difficult. I find I can do whatever I want with this target at whim.

I personally prefer seeing the entire trapezium myself, don't much like the blown out look too much. What I don't like though is when folks take stretching the gas to the extreme and doing far too much of an HDR effect. It's all personal preference though.
I did something dumb: I was trying to take apart/clean/re-grease my gears when I missed a step and broke the shaft of one of the transfer gears off inside the motor mount. I suppose I could just epoxy it and my try that to see if it works, but otherwise, the only fix is to change to a belt drive system. $150 i wasn't planning on spending... oops...
The mount had some serious backlash going on I guess. I fixed that but originally I thought maybe the grease was freezing in the cold temps and stopping the gears from turning. Hence the strip down. By the end of Orion's season, I was down to not even 11s subs before I saw trailing. Not sure the worm gear was making contact due to the backlash.
08-17-2018, 04:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Good one!
08-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really don't find the cores to be difficult. I find I can do whatever I want with this target at whim.

I personally prefer seeing the entire trapezium myself, don't much like the blown out look too much. What I don't like though is when folks take stretching the gas to the extreme and doing far too much of an HDR effect. It's all personal preference though.
I did something dumb: I was trying to take apart/clean/re-grease my gears when I missed a step and broke the shaft of one of the transfer gears off inside the motor mount. I suppose I could just epoxy it and my try that to see if it works, but otherwise, the only fix is to change to a belt drive system. $150 i wasn't planning on spending... oops...
The mount had some serious backlash going on I guess. I fixed that but originally I thought maybe the grease was freezing in the cold temps and stopping the gears from turning. Hence the strip down. By the end of Orion's season, I was down to not even 11s subs before I saw trailing. Not sure the worm gear was making contact due to the backlash.
Sorry to hear about the shaft breakage. Sucks when something like that happens. I've had my share of backlash problems too. Mine is a little cg-4 converted from manual by adding motors to the slo-mo shafts, originally gearhead dc servos with encoder feedback and later switch to the current belt driven steppers, all done on the cheap. The belts are pretty nice once you get things lined up and tight, they're fiber gator belts and have no stretch and so the backlash I have is the same thing, flaky worm gears...go figure. :/ careful retuning of the hob mount position has been a regular thing with mine.
I use synthetic bicycle grease with good results. I think I used Finishline last time which is a white moly synthetic and waterproof. A good molybdenum would also do as it doesn't thin or migrate.

Here's a link to the original setup. It's somewhat changed now with the new motors but I don't have an album for it yet.
arduino telescope mount

Hope you get it fixed soon! The good fall weather is right around the corner..wind.. rain...bears.

edit: found a pic of the new setup. stepper version
08-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"Hope you get it fixed soon! The good fall weather is right around the corner..wind.. rain...bears."

Haha, fall here is usually nice. But so is summer and right now the forest fire smoke is so thick you can taste it. I can barely see a block. Really sucks for an astrophotographer, really really sucks for a landscape photographer, and I do both!

Nice little setup! I'm very certain I solved the backlash issues of the mount, I just need to get it back up and running under clear skies to test it!
08-22-2018, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

"Hope you get it fixed soon! The good fall weather is right around the corner..wind.. rain...bears."

Haha, fall here is usually nice. But so is summer and right now the forest fire smoke is so thick you can taste it. I can barely see a block. Really sucks for an astrophotographer, really really sucks for a landscape photographer, and I do both!

Nice little setup! I'm very certain I solved the backlash issues of the mount, I just need to get it back up and running under clear skies to test it!
Nice shot. Maybe it's time to get a model and play with a foggy landscape?

08-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I do t do model stuff. If anyone, only my two daughters.
08-22-2018, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice image. Well done. That Orion nebula is difficult to get good contrast balance on. I'm going to give it a whirl this coming Orion season. Thanks.
08-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great all the photo/work. cheers