Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Mi hija tiene su hobby / "My daughter has her hobby"
Lens: SMC DA 50mm 1.8 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Ciudad de Bs AS, Argentina ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F2.2 
Posted By: Esteban, 07-27-2018, 01:53 PM

Hola, no logré la nitidez deseada. Quería preguntarles si puede deberse a la apertura o si es otra cuestión técnica que desconozco.
Saludos a todos y gracias

Translation (added by moderator):

"Hi, I did not achieve the desired sharpness. I wanted to ask if it could be due to the opening or if it is another technical issue that I do not know.
Greetings to everybody and thanks"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-27-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Views: 1,014
07-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot of a young photographer. Maybe a smaller aperture would have made a difference (f4 or f5.6) but I think it could also be a result of the dull conditions.
07-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Esteban Quote
Hola, no logré la nitidez deseada. Quería preguntarles si puede deberse a la apertura o si es otra cuestión técnica que desconozco.

"Hi, I did not achieve the desired sharpness. I wanted to ask if it could be due to the opening or if it is another technical issue that I do not know.
The little girl, the part in focus, looks reasonably sharp to me.
07-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did not achieve the desired sharpness.
Your daughter is clearly in focus with fine detail, so perhaps we need more clarity as to the quality you desire in this picture.

As PJ1 said, dull light reduces the contrast in the scene, but if it was sunny there would be shadows on your daughter's face and this picture would not capture the winter weather conditions as well. If you want more of the bridge she is standing on to be in focus, a smaller aperture (perhaps f8) would give you that, but then the building and trees behind your daughter would be even more noticeable and would distract from your main subject. My suggestion would be get closer to your daughter and take the picture in portrait format, so only the bridge railings and your daughter are in the picture. As you get closer, depth of field gets shorter, so you might have to use a slightly narrower aperture, perhaps between f2.8 and f3.5. Because the distance from you to your daughter is now much shorter than from your daughter to the background, the background will not be in focus at all and will distract less. If you do not wish to isolate your daughter from the background in the picture, then ignore my advice.

07-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Your daughter is clearly in focus with fine detail, so perhaps we need more clarity as to the quality you desire in this picture.

As PJ1 said, dull light reduces the contrast in the scene, but if it was sunny there would be shadows on your daughter's face and this picture would not capture the winter weather conditions as well. If you want more of the bridge she is standing on to be in focus, a smaller aperture (perhaps f8) would give you that, but then the building and trees behind your daughter would be even more noticeable and would distract from your main subject. My suggestion would be get closer to your daughter and take the picture in portrait format, so only the bridge railings and your daughter are in the picture. As you get closer, depth of field gets shorter, so you might have to use a slightly narrower aperture, perhaps between f2.8 and f3.5. Because the distance from you to your daughter is now much shorter than from your daughter to the background, the background will not be in focus at all and will distract less. If you do not wish to isolate your daughter from the background in the picture, then ignore my advice.
Muchas gracias a todos. Voy a aceptar el consejo de RGlasel (formato vertical) pues la intención es desenfocar lo máximo posible el fondo.

---------- Post added 07-27-18 at 05:28 PM ----------

I just saw a message from the moderator indicating that the threads should be in English. I apologize and repeat the previous message. Using an online translator
Thank you very much to all. I will accept the advice of RGlasel (vertical format) because the intention is to blur the background as much as possible
08-02-2018, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

It runs in the family.
05-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the image size you provided, lack of sharpness on the main subject wouldn't seem to be an issue here, although it may turn out to be on closer inspection of a full-res image. If I was the father of your girl, I would cherish the photo and the touching moment it preserves regardless of whether you achieved critical sharpness or not. Also, remember that while stopping down a little could have given you peak sharpness of the lens, it would have taken away from the selective focus and the nice transitions which work particularly well for this image, IMO.

05-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doesn’t look that bad. Reasonably rightly focused.
05-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Always good to see our own children following our footsteps!
06-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see the interest in photography passed along to the children ..