Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! I only saw totality.
07-27-2018, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I was unable to follow the eclipse all the way, for an unexpected reason. There was no cloud cover. It was cold but not unbearably so. About five Celsius - which is considered cold in these parts, hehehe. I had to fight off the sleep, but that was doable.

What stopped play was my tripod. As the moon was tracking across the sky, I could not depress the pan and tilt head downwards enough to keep the moon in the frame. At first I put a stone under one of the legs. Then I started to adjust individual legs. Eventually the rig was threatening to topple over backwards and I decided to call it a night.
07-28-2018, 05:39 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I was unable to follow the eclipse all the way, for an unexpected reason. There was no cloud cover. It was cold but not unbearably so. About five Celsius - which is considered cold in these parts, hehehe. I had to fight off the sleep, but that was doable.

What stopped play was my tripod. As the moon was tracking across the sky, I could not depress the pan and tilt head downwards enough to keep the moon in the frame. At first I put a stone under one of the legs. Then I started to adjust individual legs. Eventually the rig was threatening to topple over backwards and I decided to call it a night.
Since the totality was just before dawn here, I didn't have that problem!

07-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the same issue with my Manfrotto head but if I attach the camera looking backwards it tilts up to 90.
07-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

So, the commies have finally landed on the Moon.
08-01-2018, 05:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taken with:
  • Pentax K-x
  • SMC Pentax A 400mm f/5.6
  • Takumar A 2x tele converter
Ooooh, this is a good one.