Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Blood Moon July 27th, 2018, anyone?
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Camera: PENTAX K-3 Photo Location: Griethausen, Kleve, Germany ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: Madaboutpix, 07-28-2018, 05:41 AM

My first effort in this direction. Not totally happy with the results, since I had hoped for shots with some foreground interest - moon nested between the trusses of Griethausen Railway Bridge had been the plan - but hey, at least not a complete fail.

Full-res versions here: Kleve (Cleves) - Marc

Bet you guys will put me to shame with what you got?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 675
07-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not me. Could not be bothered getting up in the middle of the night, here in Tasmania !
07-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is my effort. Not much chance of an interesting foreground for me. The moon was very high up when the eclipse happened. I had to make one of the tripod legs shorter in order to get the lens vertical enough for the shot.

07-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

Nice, I almost forgot about this event. Are you using a hands free trigger?

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
My first effort in this direction. Not totally happy with the results, since I had hoped for shots with some foreground interest - moon nested between the trusses of Griethausen Railway Bridge had been the plan - but hey, at least not a complete fail.

Full-res versions here: Kleve (Cleves) - Marc

Bet you guys will put me to shame with what you got?

07-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

Very nice! It was stormy where I live! Maybe next time.
07-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MoKnows Quote
Nice, I almost forgot about this event. Are you using a hands free trigger?

Yep, an IR remote control. Cheap made-in-China (?) model - this one, in fact: https://www.amazon.com/Gadget-Place-Infrared-Shutter-Remote/dp/B010G5NACS/re...ote+pentax+k-3 - but works well and, unlike its Pentax cousins, features a replaceable battery.

For tripod work, I use this in connection with Live View / Mirror Lock-up to avoid mirror-induced shake.
07-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

I like both of yours! My efforts with telephoto-lenses didn't succed, because my tripod is a very chap one, and wasn't stable enough. Here you can find two other perspectives. The first one was at about 10 pm the other one about an hour later, taken in Bavaria from a bit outside my village.

---------- Post added 07-28-18 at 12:04 PM ----------

I also used a remote controle with live view or mirror lock-up (but a model with cable) on my Pentax K-5IIs.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
07-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I'm not mistaken, that small dot below the moon in your second shot should be Mars, Kephas.

Will readily admit that I struggled quite a bit last night to get a halfway-decent image, but once I applied recommended manual settings and the end of totality made focussing easier again, I at least returned with something. Upgrading my tripod last year definitely helped too.
07-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
If I'm not mistaken, that small dot below the moon in your second shot should be Mars, Kephas.

Will readily admit that I struggled quite a bit last night to get a halfway-decent image, but once I applied recommended manual settings and the end of totality made focussing easier again, I at least returned with something. Upgrading my tripod last year definitely helped too.
Yes, but it wasn't visible at the moment, when I took the first shot (not only out of the feeld). I should probably also think about an upgrade for my tripod. ("Wer billig kauft, kauft doppelt...")