Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Novice Closed Wheel Race Start
Lens: Sigma 300mm f2.8 EX DG APO Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: Pacific Raceways ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Racer X 69, 07-28-2018, 01:15 PM

The Novice Closed Wheel group, all lined up for the start of their race.

After completion of a driving school, those interested in obtaining a competition license enter the novice program. Cars are segregated by type, closed wheel sedans and saloon cars, and open wheel cars (which are in the same class as formula type cars (Indy, F1)) with sports racers.

A novice must complete various tasks, a day working turns, a day helping with timing and scoring or helping with the scales to weigh entrants race cars, a turn at working tech inspection, and of course 3 races where only other novices are on track. Each novice race is observed by senior drivers, who rate each participant. The idea isn't to win, but to complete the 3 races safely and exhibit good driving skills.

After 3 successful races, the orange square each novice must display front and rear gets an X, and the driver upgrades to an area license. Again, 3 races are observed, and any issues requiring coaching are addressed. After those 3 races a driver upgrades to a senior license, and loses the orange square.
Views: 347
07-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope the cars all move to their left, where the pavement seems to go .... I don't think I'd be very happy standing where you were standing
07-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I hope the cars all move to their left, where the pavement seems to go .... I don't think I'd be very happy standing where you were standing
They are just exiting a very long, slightly banked, left hand sweeper, turn 8. There is a short straight, and then a fast right hand sweeper, turn 9, that leads to the front straight. From the apex of turn 8 all the way to turn 2 the drivers should be flat on the gas, only lifting to upshift.

A map of the course:

I was between turn 8 and turn 9, mostly closer to turn 9, just outside the course.