Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Composite 2017 Solar Eclipse with Corona and Prominences
Lens: Tamron 500mm f/8 mirror Camera: K-5iis Photo Location: Tecumseh, NE ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: fewayne, 07-29-2018, 01:22 PM

This is a "poor man's HDR" composite, auto-aligned in Photoshop and then mask-painted to reveal individual layer details in the corona and the solar prominences (!!!).

Astrophotographers talk about "lucky imaging" as a technique, where you shoot hundreds of video frames and let software pick out the best ones. This was geospatially lucky imaging; we judged Nebraska to be the closest point of totality with a decent probability of good weather.

Except, as many who tried know, there were widespread clouds and storms on the day of the eclipse. I was almost beside myself trying to decide whether to stick to our location in the tiny, quintessentially American town of Tecumseh or jump in the car and try to chase holes in the clouds. My wife all but slapped me and told me to settle down. And I bear witness, she was absolutely right, or else she's even more of a powerful goddess than her children and husband believe (which is going some, believe me!).

It was wild -- the clouds parted JUST around totality and let us get a glimpse. Plenty of thin high clouds in the way, but we got all the great effects -- sunset all around the horizon, evening birds singing, and completely eerie light. Then it went solid cloud again.

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 15:29 ----------

Proof that my family loves me: They actually turned around AWAY FROM THE ECLIPSE so that I could shoot this flash/available-light composite. People are masked in from the frame with flash, everything else is from one of the available-light frame taken just beforehand. Note the sunset effect on the horizon and the "diamond ring" on the sun -- as well as all the clouds. So lucky to have been able to witness this!

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 15:31 ----------

I should note that this is actually a THREE-image composite -- that ring around the sun is from clumsily masking in a separately-exposed image of the partially-eclipsed sun. Need to go back and fix that!
Views: 174