Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
So, She Sez, The Liver's The Best Part, And I Sez...
Lens: Tamron 500mm f/8 mirror with Cheapo Teleconverter Camera: K-5iis Photo Location: UW Campus, Madison, WI ISO: 640 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: fewayne, 07-29-2018, 02:19 PM

For a couple of years a pair of red-tailed hawks nested in the white pines across the street from my office. Watching the chicks grow up was hilarious.

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 16:25 ----------

One of the same chicks, several weeks earlier. They grow up gorgeous, but there's that fuzzy infant stage and then the awkward-teenager one...

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 16:30 ----------

I was gobsmacked to discover this redtail calmly disassembling a squirrel next to a busy intersection of sidewalks near Ag Hall and Microbiology on the U of WI campus where I work. She did not seem to care a solitary bit that some human was going click near her. Note the strong "ring" bokeh characteristic of mirror lenses; hardly super-aesthetic, but for verisimilitude I didn't smear it with Gauss blur or some such. Kicked myself most of the way home when I filled up my SD card shooting at this and then missed the money shot when she picked up the remains of the carcass, spread those magnificent wings, and took off. GAAA!

Views: 486
07-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rupert would have loved your title, but I don't think he would have been very happy with the conclusion. Oh, well, that is the "circle of life". Good shots, and condolences on running out of storage.
07-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Good shots, red tailed hawks are beautiful...and deadly.
07-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pre fledge they look kind of like those cartoon vultures. My Wide winged hawk flew over today but I was watering my tomatoes so didn't get a shot today.

07-30-2018, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Pre fledge they look kind of like those cartoon vultures.
IK, R? One of the local power plants has a falcon nesting box which has been occupied every year for the past ten, IIRC. And watching those peregrine chicks go from fluffballs to gawky cartoons to mad-flapping crufty-looking fledglings has been just a stitch. Then one day they turn into 200-MPH Death From Above predators. Hmm. Maybe I should be watching my children a little more carefully.

Probably nothing on the livestream now, they've all flown but some of the chicks are still hanging around, hoping Mom will come back and feed them. Also very much like teenagers, that.

Wait, I'm wrong, at least as I typed this one of the chicks was visible on the Livestream cam, just snoozin' away.

MGE Peregrine Falcons - Madison Gas and Electric. - Madison, Wisconsin
07-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is that why he is so still? Sleeping standing up?