Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Stars Go Zoom!
Lens: Tamron 500mm f/8 mirror Camera: K-5iis Photo Location: Blue Mound State Park, WI ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: fewayne, 07-29-2018, 05:31 PM

Sometimes sharing your fails can be good too. Here, I was using an iOptron SkyTracker mount to shoot the Horsehead and Flame Nebulae with my Tamron. That's pushing the limits of that mount pretty hard to begin with, but this frame shows an added challenge: The batteries died partway through the exposure (which was likely around a minute, the EXIF data don't include the exposure time). So the dim nebulae are relatively sharp, but when the apparent sidereal motion took off, the stars were bright enough to expose long trails.

I swear on my honor as a Pentaxian that this is a single exposure, NOT a double exposure or composite of any kind.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

Views: 472
07-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, but it is a very interesting exposure.
07-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That is cool. Any more mistakes like this, post them!
07-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #4

I love it when fails turn into something cool!!!

08-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
Sometimes sharing your fails can be good too. Here, I was using an iOptron SkyTracker mount to shoot the Horsehead and Flame Nebulae with my Tamron. That's pushing the limits of that mount pretty hard to begin with, but this frame shows an added challenge: The batteries died partway through the exposure (which was likely around a minute, the EXIF data don't include the exposure time). So the dim nebulae are relatively sharp, but when the apparent sidereal motion took off, the stars were bright enough to expose long trails.

I swear on my honor as a Pentaxian that this is a single exposure, NOT a double exposure or composite of any kind.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
Warp speed...
08-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

extraordinary glitch! i reaaly like this one
08-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go Zoom!
This looks like the Star Wars fleet has just switched to light speed to escape the bad guys.
08-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice and a bit freaky, but I like it!

08-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
Gotta love astrophotography. It can go sideways so quickly! My HEQ5Pro was giving me many problems this past winter. I plan to upgrade it to a belt drive in the fall here and hope that helps solve them. I also fine tuned the worm gear as there was quite a bit of backlash.
08-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Cool - trippy