Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Loggers day - Algonquin Park
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Algonquin Park - Logging Museum 
Posted By: normhead, 07-29-2018, 06:16 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The Wakami Wailers perform in the old bunkhouse. Rokinon 14 2.8

Algonquin Park bird expert Ron Tozer, explains how an Alligator worked on logging drives.

While a volunteer uses an RC controlled model for a scaled down example of operation.

Another park staff member demonstrates how horse and raft were used to move logs for young participants.

Learning how to use a two man crosscut saw.

Except one of the participants is not a man.

Algonquin park historian and personal friend Rory MacKay in the blacksmith shop. He's done smithing demonstrations for years, but is now training some young blood.

Learning form the masters.

This gentleman 80 years young is still squaring big timbers by hand, for specialty construction, and once a year demonstrates a dying skill in the park. He also had a young guy trying to learn the trade.

Moving right along.

If you weren't there this year, plan to come next year. It's an awesome event.

Last edited by normhead; 07-29-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Views: 1,038
07-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love events like this. Thanks for sharing--great photos!
07-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice series....
07-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
I love events like this. Thanks for sharing--great photos!
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Nice series....
Thanks for commenting gentlemen.

07-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Wakami Wailers perform in the old bunkhouse. Rokinon 14 2.8
If you weren't there this year, plan to come next year. It's an awesome event.
Living history is a way of keeping traditional methods alive. Thank you for sharing these with us.
07-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Living history is a way of keeping traditional methods alive. Thank you for sharing these with us.
I lived in a squared log house for 8 years. But at that time people were scrounging old barns to build houses, not squaring logs.. This is the first person I've met who actually had the skill to do one from scratch, although I can't really imagine how long that would take.
09-15-2018, 05:25 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I particularly liked the shots of the blacksmith and the young apprentice. Thanks for sharing.

09-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for commenting.
09-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing. I might have to come up next year. People moan about active logging in the park, but it is definitely part of the history.
09-15-2018, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Thank you for sharing. I might have to come up next year. People moan about active logging in the park, but it is definitely part of the history.
Ya, I honestly don't know what's wrong with people. Sure it's a park, but it's 7000 sq. km. What kind of people think they need all that land, sitting there doing nothing. They kicked the natives out of it and won't let them back. All the canoe routes are protected. You can't find logging from the lakes or rivers.

What is it people hope to accomplish by keeping logging out of it? I'm pretty happy to call myself an envrimentalist, but I won't Donte to organizations that promote this nonsense.

Want some wilderness, close a Ford plant and put it in your back yard. We have enough here.

Last edited by normhead; 09-15-2018 at 08:11 PM.
09-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Helluva rant Norm. Economics aside, I see definite similarities with logging and hunting in regards to population control. I don't hunt and I don't chop down a lot of trees, but I understand the point. Plus, I've seen Algonquin and my oh my there is no shortage of trees.
09-15-2018, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
Helluva rant Norm. Economics aside, I see definite similarities with logging and hunting in regards to population control. I don't hunt and I don't chop down a lot of trees, but I understand the point. Plus, I've seen Algonquin and my oh my there is no shortage of trees.
You definitely can't make any money trying to sell trees to people in Whitney, well except for the guy who brings my woodpile.

Last edited by normhead; 09-15-2018 at 08:54 PM.
09-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, I honestly don't know what's wrong with people. Sure it's a park, but it's 7000 sq. km. What kind of people think they need all that land, sitting there doing nothing. They kicked the natives out of it and won't let them back. All the canoe routes are protected. You can't find logging from the lakes or rivers.

What is it people hope to accomplish by keeping logging out of it? I'm pretty happy to call myself an envrimentalist, but I won't Donte to organizations that promote this nonsense.

Want some wilderness, close a Ford plant and put it in your back yard. We have enough here.
(IMHO) The beauty of Algonquin is that it doesn't have roads or logging where it matters -it's the uninterrupted space that is important.