Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
the walls are yellow'er on the other side
Posted By: Gooshin, 09-17-2008, 09:25 AM

its been 2 years since i graduated university, and honestly, i want back in.

taking a day off from work yesterday i spent half the morning using my friends film-lab privilages printing some of my b/w film pictures

after that we ran around downtown toronto around the university campus's (Ryerson and UofT)

this was taken in one of the court yards at UofT, its funny how the student is obviously bored and wants to go outside, while i'm on the outside trying to get in... (Ryerson btw declined my application for their Photography studies, so i'ma hella pissed off)

this was taken with my newly aquired Super Takumar 135 f2.5

Views: 1,543
09-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I particularly like the faint sunlight reflected on the bricks; to me, this gives a sense of the woman looking outside at a sunset rather than the photographer. I also like the horizontal bar in the wood window frame, as it provides an old, battered, and weak appearance in contrast to the stout and durable rock structure.

The composition leaves me a bit puzzled, though. The wide, horizontal masonry in the bottom ~1/4 as well as the tall, bland, off-white wall in the middle 1/3 draw my eye away from the picture rather than into it. With just a mind's-eye guess, cropping some from the bottom and the left side would draw me in more, moving the main elements closer to a 1/3rd placement than a 1/2. On the other hand, with more resolution, I might find the textures in the picture draw me in, so all of this might be moot because of the low-res nature of our forums. :-)

Thanks for posting the picture.
09-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Framing within a frame. A clever composition skill. The selective colour works here
09-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
does this crop work better?

09-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I liked the first version better. It seemed more contrasty and focused.

...Then again, maybe not.

The second version works fine.
09-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry my cousin never finished Ryerson but is doing well, i think they even gave him an Honorary Degree LOL