Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Zephyr
Posted By: reh321, 08-01-2018, 08:59 PM

The first modern diesel-powered stainless steel passenger train was the "Zephyr", built during the Depression for the Burlington Railroad. After more units were constructed, this train was renamed "Pioneer Zephyr". Eventually it was retired, and parked around back at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Recently the museum constructed a parking garage, moved their main entrance from the traditional entrance to an entrance leading to the garage, and parked the newly-cleaned Pioneer Zephyr there.

Attached Images

Views: 1,203
08-01-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a nice piece of machinery and design. As to the photos, the first one is a bit bland, but I like the colours and reflections on the second one a lot. It just leaves me wondering why the lego character is there.....
08-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
That's a nice piece of machinery and design. As to the photos, the first one is a bit bland, but I like the colours and reflections on the second one a lot. It just leaves me wondering why the lego character is there.....
Thank you for your comment. The "blandness" of the first photo was real; the Zephyr had been out in the weather for many years and even stainless steel is affect by that. The surface had picked up pollen, dirt, and I don't know what, and frankly looked neglected {which it was}. The refurbishing it got before they brought it back inside included a complete "car wash". My first thought when I saw it inside was that it sparkled in a way I had never seen before - much as it must have looked when it wowed people during its 1934 tour.
08-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Old locomotives are very interesting. I wonder why different pieces of machinery from the same time look so different. I can't think of a boat with an avant garde look for example...

08-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Old locomotives are very interesting. I wonder why different pieces of machinery from the same time look so different. I can't think of a boat with an avant garde look for example...
Thank you for your comment.

This locomotive was constructed in 1933, at a time when the Burlington wanted to bring attention to their passenger trains. The modern trend then was "art deco", which led to "streamline moderne", which the Zephyr was. Incidentally, I once had a camera from that era, a Kodak "Duaflex", and it had the same look-and-feel.
08-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
It just leaves me wondering why the lego character is there.....
I missed this question before. The "lego character" was a 'robot'. The museum was preparing for a display on robots, and he was part of their modern advertising program. And that brings up a difference from before - in 1983 I may have been the only person who took a photo of the Zephyr in the entire month. Now, where it is located at the entrance, at a point of regular flow of traffic, people always seem to be including it in their photos, and I was glad for the opportunity to include them in mine.
08-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Aha, that explains it and the museum's idea seems to be excellent. This is not an exhibition that is easily moved, but now at least it attracts the attention it deserves. The robot and people around it lend it a nice human touch, not just shiny tech. I guess that's just what a good museum should do.

08-04-2018, 02:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Fascinating stuff; I love train travel.
08-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Fascinating stuff; I love train travel.
So do I.
08-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I want an RV that looks like the engine of the Zephyr! Complete with Cow splitter so the Moose can't slow me down!
They really did a nice job cleaning up the stainless on her too! Is the U-505 still outside also? I remember how cramped that was when I was a scrawny kid, I can't imagine how tight it would fell now I am a good deal larger then I was then.
08-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I want an RV that looks like the engine of the Zephyr! Complete with Cow splitter so the Moose can't slow me down!
They really did a nice job cleaning up the stainless on her too! Is the U-505 still outside also? I remember how cramped that was when I was a scrawny kid, I can't imagine how tight it would fell now I am a good deal larger then I was then.
Yeah, I'm afraid they really can't do much with the submarine - but it is still the wonderful tour it has always been.
08-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I like how you posted both pictures. Very interesting Love the second one of course, but I like the story of both pictures Thanks
08-04-2018, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
I like how you posted both pictures. Very interesting Love the second one of course, but I like the story of both pictures Thanks
Thank you for your comment. At first I was going to post just the second photo, but then I realized that pairing it with the first photo would provide a much more interesting story.