Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some from Florence
Posted By: thomasjmpark, 09-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Here are a few from a day trip to Florence. A really spectacular place that I wish I could have spent more time in, theres so much to photograph! These are some of my more succesful efforts..

Florence Cathedral, far too huge to fit it all in!

And its tower

Just an average door

ll Porcellino/ Lucky pig, you stroke his nose for luck. Managed to get a disgruntled market worker in the back too!

Ponte Vecchio

A huge open square, not sure what its called.

Some angry men looking and pointing at me

Views: 1,871
09-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
MrA

QuoteQuote:
A huge open square, not sure what its called.
It's bound to be a Piazza something or other...

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Ponte Vecchio
A rare beastie, that is, a bridge with shops on it. Nice shot of it. There are, it is said, now only 4 true inhabited mediaeval-style bridges left in the world:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
Bridge of Rohan, Landerneau, France
Pulteney Bridge, Bath, England
and one somwhere near Narbonne, also in France, about which I know very little.

(There are a few others with an single dwelling on, but they don't really count)
09-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks MrA, I didnt realise the bridge was one of only a few. Its a fascinating place and I actually didnt realise I was on a bridge until I caught a glimpse of the water below.

I had a look at the single dwelling link, very unusual indeed!

Thanks for the info
09-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Stunning detail in the architectural photos! Thanks for sharing, it's been over 30 years since I visited there, now I want to go back...

09-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I captured these on films and you just brought me back to these time of the stunning scenery.
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice series, I enjoyed them all. I would love to visit there someday myself. But for now I'll just have to look at pictures! If you couldn't get the whole cathedral in one shot, you should have done one of your famous panos.
09-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote

A rare beastie, that is, a bridge with shops on it. Nice shot of it. There are, it is said, now only 4 true inhabited mediaeval-style bridges left in the world:

(There are a few others with an single dwelling on, but they don't really count)
There's also Kramer Brucke in Erfurt, Germany. It has shops down both sides much like Ponte Vecchio my family took me to Erfurt especially to see it (and the Italian Ice Cream store nearby).

09-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice Thomas, remember you can always shoot for a panoramic...then "too big to fit" will not have to be repeated
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow what a beautiful place! You have some really good shots here to represent it too. Hard to pick a favorite because they are all good, but I'm partial to the second image in this series.
09-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Thomas,
thanks for sharing. but I'm curious about the guys in the horse & buggy, where they 'upset' at your photo taking ( & not paying them) ....or had they heard what you do with tomatos...???
Cheers
Grant
09-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Stunning detail in the architectural photos! Thanks for sharing, it's been over 30 years since I visited there, now I want to go back...
Thanks Georg The architecture is fascinating as are the interiors which ill post later. Its quite outstanding how much carving and statues are on the catherdral and other buildings.

QuoteQuote:
I captured these on films and you just brought me back to these time of the stunning scenery.
Thanks Roentarre I really want to be back there as soon as I can.

QuoteQuote:
If you couldn't get the whole cathedral in one shot, you should have done one of your famous panos.
Thanks Fred You know it didnt occur to me to try a pano I was so caught up in the crowd of tourists it was hard to get somewhere to stand still for more than a minute!

QuoteQuote:
Very nice Thomas, remember you can always shoot for a panoramic...then "too big to fit" will not have to be repeated
Thanks Clicker Again, there didnt seem to be the opportunity, maybe an early morning start to beat the crowds would have been better.

QuoteQuote:
Wow what a beautiful place! You have some really good shots here to represent it too. Hard to pick a favorite because they are all good, but I'm partial to the second image in this series.
Thanks Laree It is beautiful and the light was amazing. I like the 2nd aswell, now if Id had a wider lens (or stood further back) I could have got the whole tower in, some tourists would have given more of a sense of scale.

QuoteQuote:
or had they heard what you do with tomatos...???
well maybe they had caught wind of what I do to tomatoes behind closed doors It makes sense now I didnt find out the reason as I did an about turn and sloped off into the crowd

Thanks everyone
09-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What a treat, especially for people like me who have not made it there. Thanks.
09-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Nice work Tom, I'm going to have to take the wife to Italy one of these days.
09-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote

I seem to recall a similar bridge in Venice. Was there in 1975, so I just might be mistaken.