Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Slieve Donard, Mourne Mountains, County Down, Ireland
Lens: Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 Camera: K30 Photo Location: Ireland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/80s 
Posted By: nocturnal, 08-03-2018, 05:47 PM

This is from a couple of years ago where I brought a friend out for his first proper hike. Slieve Donard is Ireland's 7th highest mountain, at the top is a tiny stone hut which is great to hide from the wind, snow and rain in winter time. Beside the hut is a memorial to a hiker killed by lightning. Despite being under 900m this mountain range sees lots of accidents and I witnessed two helicopter rescues at the same time one day.

Originally posted in another forum (first and last time I will post there), got no response ( don't care and I'd love a large print of it somewhere in my house), going to start spending time here instead although I have spend years reading the fantastic database and reviewed a lens too.

Hope you like the story

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 830
08-03-2018, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a very nice photo. I almost feel like I'm standing there myself. It has tone and texture differences that make it work in B&W
08-04-2018, 01:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great B&W, nicely done!
08-04-2018, 02:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Well done!

08-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice, congrats! Thanks for sharing!
08-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments. I'll try and post a few more soon, not sure how many Irish photographers there are here, only a few according to the location map of nearby members.
08-05-2018, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Slieve Donard
That's we we make such good drinking buddies... our two countries are so alike at times, great capture.

08-06-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

This is a very good representation of nature. I would definitely like to see more photos of Ireland - very many years ago, I flew with my bicycle from Seattle to Dublin on my own and spent a couple of months riding around all over Ireland - one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I didn't have a camera with me at the time.
08-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
This is a very good representation of nature. I would definitely like to see more photos of Ireland - very many years ago, I flew with my bicycle from Seattle to Dublin on my own and spent a couple of months riding around all over Ireland - one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I didn't have a camera with me at the time.
Thanks, I will be posting more soon. How many times did you get soaked? I just got drenched today cycling but I know it rains as much in Seattle. In reverse I brought my bicycle to Florida and rode to California, the coast to coast dipping the tyres in the Atlantic and Pacific.

---------- Post added 08-06-18 at 05:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That's we we make such good drinking buddies... our two countries are so alike at times, great capture.
Thank you. I couldn't find your location to compare 😀
08-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks, I will be posting more soon. How many times did you get soaked? I just got drenched today cycling but I know it rains as much in Seattle. In reverse I brought my bicycle to Florida and rode to California, the coast to coast dipping the tyres in the Atlantic and Pacific.[COLOR="Silver"]
First, WOW. Bicycling coast-to-coast is incredible - I can't even imagine that. I got completely and utterly soaked when going into Galway. Spent some time in a tourist shop trying to get dry but the rain wouldn't let up so had to brave it. It was October so to be expected! Overall, I was lucky with the weather. I had to buy a t-shirt because it was so warm - I'd prepared for colder weather.
08-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Thank you. I couldn't find your location to compare
Here's two or three...

08-06-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lovely photos Kerrowdown but I'm none the wiser where you are. I'm thinking it must be Scotland?

Sealonsf... I rented out a fishing cottage outside Clifden in Galway 2 years ago, it was a photographer's heaven, Connemara has an outstanding landscape and it has dark skies for astrophotography/nightscapes. I'll dig some of these out and post them soon. I don't have them on this small tablet device.
08-07-2018, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely photos Kerrowdown but I'm none the wiser where you are. I'm thinking it must be Scotland?
Indeed... in fact the Highlands of Scotland on the shores of Loch Ness.
08-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Indeed... in fact the Highlands of Scotland on the shores of Loch Ness.
I am ashamed to say I've only been in Scotland for 6 hours to ride a bicycle race in Stranraer town centre. I wish they had a bridge to drive over as the ferry is expensive to bring a car. However I must do it someday instead of looking at the Isle of Islay through my 300mm lens up in Fair Head.
08-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

instead of looking at the Isle of Islay
I see nothing wrong in gazing at a wee island (almost 239 sq mi) which makes some of the finest Whisky in the World IMHO...

Port Ellen, Ardnahoe, Gartbreck, Caol Ila, Lochindall, Octomore, Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg, Daill, Port Charlotte, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Kilchoman, Lagavulin, Ardenistle, Kildalton, Ardmore, Killarow, Lossit, Malt Mill, Mulindry, Newton, Octomore, Scarabus, Tallant and my favourite of them all... Laphroaig.