Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington
Posted By: reh321, 08-04-2018, 07:58 PM

Several years ago, my family rode the WW&F tourist railroad at Alna, Maine. When we reached the reverse-direction point, the engineer came back through the two cars and said, "I'd like the guy who looks older than me to ride in the cab with me" .... he was talking about me! Here are a couple of photos from that day.

Attached Images

Views: 1,126
08-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
There are so many interesting and beautiful things to photograph in Maine. I was born and raised there, and wish I would have had a better camera while growing up, but make sure that I'm ready to shoot every time I make a trip back up that way.
08-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need to check this out! The wife loves trains and we both like history, and old trains fill both desires!
Still running so I think tomorrow or Sunday will be a day out to ride the train!

Web site for anyone curious http://wwfry.org/?page_id=75

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 08-30-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Add URL
08-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Cool story and photos, thanks for sharing. Bet it was fun riding up there.

08-31-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Saturday after putting the Farmer's market purchases away. It is less than 30 miles from my house.
08-31-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Saturday after putting the Farmer's market purchases away. It is less than 30 miles from my house.
That’s cool. I would so go as well. Sounds fun!!!
08-31-2018, 06:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EJPearl Quote
There are so many interesting and beautiful things to photograph in Maine. I was born and raised there, and wish I would have had a better camera while growing up, but make sure that I'm ready to shoot every time I make a trip back up that way.
There are three or four of these 2-foot railroads up there - part of their heritage .... certainly worth checking on when you make the trip.

08-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I need to check this out! The wife loves trains and we both like history, and old trains fill both desires!
Still running so I think tomorrow or Sunday will be a day out to ride the train!

Web site for anyone curious About the Museum
Yes, this railroad has the closest thing to a continuous history of any of the Maine two-footers. When they went to the Secretary of State office to register, they discovered that the original corporation was still registered, and they were allowed to revive that registry rather than get a new one. As you can see, the volunteers who run this place are really nice and helpful people
08-31-2018, 06:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jays0n Quote
Cool story and photos, thanks for sharing. Bet it was fun riding up there.
Thank you to both of you for commenting
08-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is so cool.
08-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice ones!
08-31-2018, 07:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
This is so cool.
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Nice ones!
Thank you for your comments
08-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for your comments
recommended lenses for tomorrow? I am thinking the following:
DA 15 Ltd
DA 35 2.4
DA* 50 135 2.8
DA 55-300 PLM for wildlife on way there and back.

Optional
Bower 8mm Fish
DA 40 Ltd
DA 77 Ltd because it makes trains look good!

Thanks in advance for the recommendations. let's get someone a K-1II today!
Tom
08-31-2018, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
recommended lenses for tomorrow? I am thinking the following:
DA 15 Ltd
DA 35 2.4
DA* 50 135 2.8
DA 55-300 PLM for wildlife on way there and back.

Optional
Bower 8mm Fish
DA 40 Ltd
DA 77 Ltd because it makes trains look good!

Thanks in advance for the recommendations. let's get someone a K-1II today!
Tom
I'll be honest with you - I use mostly zoom lenses, and since I started doing that, I hardly ever look at the specific focal length at any given time - I find the spot that gives me the perspective I want and then zoom to get the framing I want. With that in mind, you will want to know that these people, when I last saw them at least, were both friendly and flexible. You'll need the 8mm fisheye only if you want to do something artsy and creative. When you're standing and the train is running, you'll want a lens long enough to keep you out of trouble; a wider lens might be good for times when its not running, especially if you want to get some candid 'crowd' shots. So, yes, if you have them and pack them, I can see where any of these could be just what you want, but honestly, I'm not very good at specific recommendations.
09-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'll be honest with you - I use mostly zoom lenses, and since I started doing that, I hardly ever look at the specific focal length at any given time - I find the spot that gives me the perspective I want and then zoom to get the framing I want. With that in mind, you will want to know that these people, when I last saw them at least, were both friendly and flexible. You'll need the 8mm fisheye only if you want to do something artsy and creative. When you're standing and the train is running, you'll want a lens long enough to keep you out of trouble; a wider lens might be good for times when its not running, especially if you want to get some candid 'crowd' shots. So, yes, if you have them and pack them, I can see where any of these could be just what you want, but honestly, I'm not very good at specific recommendations.
Took the 20-40, *50-135 and my 8mm Fish.
never mounted the 20-40, but used the 50-135 a lot! Nice folks, nice train ride, very informative volunteers made it fun. We also got to watch them put the locomotive to bed in the big shed after emptying the firebox and cleaning it out. Will post a new thread after a little PP. I was surprised by how many shots I saw when I mounted the Fish eye before we took our ride.

---------- Post added 09-01-18 at 03:10 PM ----------

Took a lot of images, over 300 and never stopped for the five flocks of turkeys that I saw along the road there and back. I had the 55-300 PLM in the bag also but it never got pulled out either.