Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Rosa Park's bus
Posted By: reh321, 08-07-2018, 08:00 AM

The Henry Ford Museum says this is the bus on which Rosa Parks refused to take a seat at the back - one of the sparks that lit the Civil Rights Movement here in the US

Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 08-07-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: wrong type
Views: 2,576
08-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #31
Inactive Account

A beautiful capture!

08-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
A beautiful capture!
Thank you for your comment.

As I said earlier, the museum's lighting makes photography simple and warm wooden floors enhance almost any image.
08-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting it is in the Ford Museum. Looks like it is a GM bus.
08-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote

Apparently nobody else wanted it. Ford's people definitely value history.

08-19-2018, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Apparently nobody else wanted it. Ford's people definitely value history.
Yes, I agree they value history. And, the fact they brought it all the way from Montgomery to Dearborn for display tells us something about commitment, so I had to do more research. The bus, and restoration project cost about $750,000. Rosa Parks Bus - Curating & Preserving - The Henry Ford
08-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite a few GM things in the Ford Museum. If I remember correctly, they even had a '51 Buick in there.
08-20-2018, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

The thing that makes me happiest about these stories, is that when I tell them today, kids look at me in disbelief, my world was so much different than theirs, they have no context to understand it. Their are no examples you can draw on in modern society to make it easier to understand. That is exactly what we were marching for.

Last edited by normhead; 08-20-2018 at 06:40 AM.
08-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The thing that makes me happiest about these stories, is that when I tell them today, kids look at me in disbelief, my world i was much different than theirs, they have no context to understand it. Their are no example you can draw on in modern society to make it easier to understand. That is exactly what we were marching for.
I agree totally - especially since my younger daughter is dating a black man.
08-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I agree totally - especially since my younger daughter is dating a black man.
That's what we used to say to the 'Liberalistas", sure you're for civil rights, but would you let a black man marry your daughter?" There were a lot of them who couldn't get by that.

Bob Dylan of course turned that around
"If you think i'd let Barry Goldwater move in next door and marry my daughter, you must think i'm crazy."

A great line at the time that has now completely lost it's irony.

Any kid today would say 'Who's Barry Goldwater and why wouldn't you let move in next door or let him marry your daughter?" The explanation would be excruciating if you attempted it, and the humour would never be apparent.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 10:06 AM ----------

Yes, I agree they value history. And, the fact they brought it all the way from Montgomery to Dearborn for display tells us something about commitment, so I had to do more research. The bus, and restoration project cost about $750,000. Rosa Parks Bus - Curating & Preserving - The Henry Ford
That's a pretty amazing story just in itself.

Last edited by normhead; 08-20-2018 at 07:06 AM.
08-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

The thing that makes me happiest about these stories, is that when I tell them today, kids look at me in disbelief, my world was so much different than theirs, they have no context to understand it. Their are no examples you can draw on in modern society to make it easier to understand. That is exactly what we were marching for.
Well I am not a kid and I am reading this in disbelieve.
When these stories are told through movies you think it was hundred years ago. But they just happened. The same with south africa apartheid.

Thanks for sharing Normhead.
08-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Well I am not a kid and I am reading this in disbelieve.
When these stories are told through movies you think it was hundred years ago. But they just happened. The same with south africa apartheid.

Thanks for sharing Normhead.
Museums contain more things than I would like to admit that I used or saw being used.

In this case, I saw the civil rights events on our TV {news, not documentary}.

And I join you in thanking Norm for telling about what he saw from his perspective.
08-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Museums contain more things than I would like to admit that I used or saw being used.

In this case, I saw the civil rights events on our TV {news, not documentary}.

And I join you in thanking Norm for telling about what he saw from his perspective.
Of course I'll ask for something in return.
I've always hoped there would be some kind of formal recognition of the non-violent freedom fighters of the 50's. As group, most of us were trained in how to take a beating, experienced the hatred of the Klan and other racists I personally had a cross burned on the entrance to the farm I was living on and our water supply forcing us to move from Georgia to Tennessee. There are many who experienced much worse including the assisination of people preaching neon-violence. I knew people who were either severely beaten or who were friends of severely beaten people.

People in the military are acknowledge for putting themselves in harms way for their country. These civil rights workers, most of them volunteers and going to the action on their own dime, get no pensions, no help with their PTSD, they don't get to march in parades. The only parades they marched in were the ones where they were likely to be beaten.

If there's ever a chance to build some kind of formal monument in the recognition of their service, I hope you'll support it.
08-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Of course I'll ask for something in return.
I've always hoped there would be some kind of formal recognition of the non-violent freedom fighters of the 50's. As group, most of us were trained in how to take a beating, experienced the hatred of the Klan and other racists I personally had a cross burned on the entrance to the farm I was living on and our water supply forcing us to move from Georgia to Tennessee. There are many who experienced much worse including the assisination of people preaching neon-violence. I knew people who were either severely beaten or who were friends of severely beaten people.

People in the military are acknowledge for putting themselves in harms way for their country. These civil rights workers, most of them volunteers and going to the action on their own dime, get no pensions, no help with their PTSD, they don't get to march in parades. The only parades they marched in were the ones where they were likely to be beaten.

If there's ever a chance to build some kind of formal monument in the recognition of their service, I hope you'll support it.
Yes, I would, but my support would mean little in the South.

We do have a monument, but aimed a "little higher" .... it honors "local hero", Father Hesburgh, and MLK.
Attached Images

09-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
We were back at the museum this past weekend, so I made a point of taking a photo of this area - which they have dressed up to remind people of what waiting rooms looked like in The South as recently as the middle of the last century.
Attached Images