Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Anybody using K-series for asrtophotography?
Lens: DA18-55mm Camera: k-50 Photo Location: Virginia mountains ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: blues_hawk, 08-08-2018, 05:07 AM

Just looking to make conversation to help boost posting.

Pay no attention to the typo...you see nothing...nothing!

Last fall I was setting up and getting polar aligned the night before the August 2017 eclipse to get what pictures I could of the solar eclipse after canceling a long drive into the shadow on a Monday, and all that that might entail when the normally soupy summer sky decided to reward me with a moment of complete clarity showing me a naked eye view of the milkyway roaring overhead. I grabbed my k-50 and quickly attached it to the tracking mount and just blindly aimed it up to get this. It only lasted long enough to get a few frames but was a highlight of the event for me. The eclipse was mostly clouded out but I did get some good solar filtered footage of the last stages and I got one or two by gambling a bit with a handheld k-50 using the viewscreen for protection as the almost completely obscured nearly eclipsed sun occasionally dimly peeked out of the clouds from a passing thunderstorm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by blues_hawk; 08-08-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Views: 352
08-09-2018, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

I like 'em both; but the moon shot is particularly great.
08-09-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice ones!
08-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ephophex Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Nice ones!
Thanks for your comments!
The one that looks like the moon is actually the SUN! It was near solar minimum during last year's eclipse and I had had clouds for 20 or 30 minutes and was checking every once in a while to see if it was clearing. I saw this very dim sliver through the clouds and took a chance with my k-50 and snapped a shot of it. I used the electronic viewfinder just in case it popped out brighter, and can't recommend the practice of aiming things at the sun unfiltered. I also had a tracking mount with filtered cameras but this one was the most exciting.

08-21-2018, 06:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ephophex Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Nice ones!
Thanks for your comments!
The one that looks like the moon is actually the SUN! It was near solar minimum during last year's eclipse and I had had clouds for 20 or 30 minutes and was checking every once in a while to see if it was clearing. I saw this very dim sliver through the clouds and took a chance with my k-50 and snapped a shot of it. I used the electronic viewfinder just in case it popped out brighter, and can't recommend the practice of aiming things at the sun unfiltered. I also had a tracking mount with filtered cameras but this one was the most exciting.

More 2017 eclipse at my google photos

Last edited by blues_hawk; 08-21-2018 at 06:21 AM. Reason: double post due to major site lag/timeoout
10-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I do use Pentax for astrophotography. Used to use the K5 IIs, now I use the K3 and K1.