Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Edison - #1
Posted By: reh321, 08-08-2018, 06:54 AM

Yesterday I posted a photo from the Henry Ford museum and talked about how determined Ford's people could be when looking for an artifact. That reminded me of the story of a locomotive. The story, as told today, is that Henry really really wanted a particular type of locomotive, known as a "Mason". For some reason, his men just couldn't come up with one .... so they manufactured "one"! {out of pieces from several old locomotives}. The story I've heard is that eventually museum curators realized what had happened, and eventually this franken-locomotive was moved out to the village, where it has faithfully pulled trains for many many years now - so I guess the guys at River Rouge knew what they were doing when they put this thing together. I believe it was still in its "Mason" attire when I first saw it over forty years ago; over the years, the people at the village have changed their interpretation of what this locomotive should look like. Here are photos from 1975, 1999, 2013, and 2016, respectively.

Attached Images

Views: 1,350
08-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Another nice story, thanks for sharing. Cool looking train. I'm hoping to take a 5 hour train ride through the white mountains of NH during fall foliage. I'll have to get a picture of the engine .
08-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
Another nice story, thanks for sharing. Cool looking train. I'm hoping to take a 5 hour train ride through the white mountains of NH during fall foliage. I'll have to get a picture of the engine .
Thank you for your comments.

Are you talking about the train that runs out of North Conway?
We rode it several years ago - they were using vintage diesel power.
08-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for your comments.

Are you talking about the train that runs out of North Conway?
We rode it several years ago - they were using vintage diesel power.
Yes. There are a few. I want to do this one. I’m going to try and get an upper dome seat. I know photographing the scenery through the windows aren’t the best, but I’ll enjoy it anyways.
Notch Train Dining Packages | Conway Scenic Railroad
And one day the train that goes up Mount Washington. That’s a steep one.

08-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
Yes. There are a few. I want to do this one. I’m going to try and get an upper dome seat. I know photographing the scenery through the windows aren’t the best, but I’ll enjoy it anyways.
Notch Train Dining Packages | Conway Scenic Railroad
And one day the train that goes up Mount Washington. That’s a steep one.
Someday I'll try to find and post photos taken from a dome car. I've ridden in one twice - not perfect images, but no obvious distortion, so only loss is slight reduction in sharpness.

added: last month I posted some photos I took while riding Amtrak
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/371129-travel-raton-pass.html
Photos taken from a dome should be roughly comparable in quality.