Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Milkyway of 2015
Lens: 14mm Camera: K3II Photo Location: Kamloops ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: aitrus3, 08-09-2018, 07:36 AM

This is my first ever successful milky way image i took with the newly released (after the switch problem was solved) K3II back in 2015. I think I had literally had the camera for a couple weeks.
I was told at the time that it was one of the favourite images of the President of Ricoh U.S., it made their picture of the week on facebook, and another version of it went a little viral on flickr.
My best work? no, I think my most recent shot is much better, but this image will always hold a special place in my catalogue.

Views: 725
08-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh, so wonderful.
08-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a very fine capture and can be rightly proud. It's inspiring too.
08-10-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks! I had been out once before this for milky way, but it was pretty much the day I got my camera and i just ran down to the river to see what it could do. I was so excited to see the first image that I pretty much ran back home right after. Miles ahead of the K20D i had before! I thought this location here offered a much better, less muddy/less cluttered foreground than the river so had it in mind to go asap.

08-10-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
This is my first ever successful milky way image i took with the newly released (after the switch problem was solved) K3II back in 2015. I think I had literally had the camera for a couple weeks.
I was told at the time that it was one of the favourite images of the President of Ricoh U.S., it made their picture of the week on facebook, and another version of it went a little viral on flickr.
My best work? no, I think my most recent shot is much better, but this image will always hold a special place in my catalogue.

Nice! I live in the woods so all mine look like I shot them from the bottom of a bucket. :P

rhetorical: I wonder though, if the president was so enamored with the astronomy shot, why they have never really embraced tethering, the hallmark of a good ap camera...even though the routines are obviously there(see tethering threads and libgphoto)
08-10-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

This is an absolutely lovely photo. The view of the stars is great - and the view of the ground supports the sky - simple but not boring.
08-10-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Nice! I live in the woods so all mine look like I shot them from the bottom of a bucket. :P

rhetorical: I wonder though, if the president was so enamored with the astronomy shot, why they have never really embraced tethering, the hallmark of a good ap camera...even though the routines are obviously there(see tethering threads and libgphoto)
No kidding hey? I'm hoping they took some of my suggestions seriously. Tethering was one of them.
I really hope they find a way to do switchable IR/UV/Visible filters; I just think it'd be the coolest invention ever.

08-22-2018, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Nice shot! Did you strobe the foreground?

08-22-2018, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Nice shot! Did you strobe the foreground?

A long time ago... if anything, I used my phones light. But really, the time of year it was shot meant that there was still a tonne if light for long exposures. So I do t think I used any artificial light.
08-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice image. Good balance between the near and the very far in your composition. Love the grasses in the foreground. Thanks.
08-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
simply stunning!
08-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Very nice image. Good balance between the near and the very far in your composition. Love the grasses in the foreground. Thanks.
Same location and barn as the storm shot Located on private property, the owners were kind enough to give me exact directions and permission to shoot here on a number of occasions.
I always give them a full tiff version in thanks.
08-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #13
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Same location and barn as the storm shot Located on private property, the owners were kind enough to give me exact directions and permission to shoot here on a number of occasions.
I always give them a full tiff version in thanks.
The barn did look a bit familiar. Nice to give the owners a gift.
08-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Wonderful!