Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Princess Mariana Luxury Yacht
Posted By: LaRee, 09-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Last month we had a famous yacht docked in the harbor. They paid $40,000 yep that is right, forty thousand dollars! a day to dock there.
It was a private yacht and they had the sign out..can't have any riffraff boarding!

I spoke to some of the crew and they said the crew accommodations were top notch. Twenty four crewmen AND there is even a helicopter pilot on-board. Sheesh! I wonder what THAT costs!

It carries a whole quiver of jet-skis!

Just take a look at their run-about boat. The crewman told me the engine in the runabout is larger/faster than the yacht. The wee boat in the second shot is pulled up on-board in the back when they are underway. But this one has to motor everywhere they go! Think of the cost of the fuel alone! If I remember correctly the name of this boat is Moon Goddess.

Now why would someone pay $40,000 a day to dock when they could float out in the middle of the bay and bring one of the run-abouts in? Well....it's called flaunting it baby! You should have seen the crowd this yacht drew. ;-)

You can read more about this yacht here:
PRINCESS MARIANA - Luxury Motor Yacht

And the whole gallery of photos I took here:
LaRee | Princess Mariana
Views: 14,516
09-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #16
Forum Member

Déjà Vous

It's like déjà vous. In the sense that there's no words in English that describe what I'm feeling right now.

09-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #17
Forum Member

It's funny how irritated some people get when they see a yacht like this. All the "think how many people I could feed with this" blah blah blah. Let me guess how much money you people have tied up in "silly" cameras and gear...$2000, $3000, more...don't forget the computers and software. How many people could you feed with that? You certainly don't "need" to take pictures. You could certainly "donate your time" instead of spending hours in post-production on your iMac with full suite of Adobe photoshop running. All for your own pleasure...sinful...oh right, that's different.

I bet the helicopter pilot and the crew is pretty happy this dude has all this money. Let's not forget the shipyard that made this boat. Oh yeah, and that dock you were enjoying your stroll on would not exist if not for people stroking $40000 checks every now and again, it would be crammed with shops and hotels that could pay the rent for ocean front locations.

Remember, when you are dirt dirt poor, the person who spends $1500 on another lens to add to the collection of 10 they already have, is no different than this guy adding more jetskis to his yacht. Just a little perspective.
09-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyone is jealous of the guy just ahead of him in line.
09-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But why did a thread from 2008 get reopened? The OP hasn't posted in over a year.

09-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Very nice shooting....

As MalcomX said, "As long as there are people with no clothes, anyone with two suits is a hustler." The issue with rich folks isn't that they don't give, it's that they stop giving, while they still have lots of money, and before the job is done. With so many living in abject poverty, this kind of indulgence is obscene. It says loud and clear, you just don't care about the poorest of the poor. I'm not sure why you would be making up stories about how good these people are, in my experience, during my years working as a self employed cabinet maker, I was ripped off once, buy a rich guy, and he used the privilege of his rich life to do it, and the legal advice of his lawyer to get away with it. People with less money were much more honest. I usually don't tell this story, but I feel the nonsense quoted above needs balance. Statistically, the rich give a much lower percentage of their income to charity, than the middle class. They aren't as you portray them. That's just part of the rich people hogwash, they use to justify having money and doing so little for others.

I couldn't agree more, Norm! To see this kind of self-indulgence sickens me! If I were ever to hit the lottery, I can guaran-damn-tee you, I'd be the best millionaire on earth. I've often thought of how personally rewarding it would be, should I be so fortunate as to hit it big, to rent a run-down trailer in a poor section of town and just "hide and watch," and see which of my neighbors were really in need of help. A single mother who's car broke down. A poor family who has to trudge to the laundry mat every few days. Children with worn out shoes or shabby coats when winter came around. To be able to fix that car, to have Sears show up with a new washer and dryer. To have gift certificates arrive in the mail from JC Penny's for shoes and coats. What a wonderful feeling it would be to be able to do that for truly needy people.... and do it anonymously without them ever knowing where it came from. THAT kind of generosity brings a kind of inner harmony and peace that is priceless.

$40,000 a day to berth your yacht? BS I say! BS!

Dewman
SW Idaho
09-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Remember, when you are dirt dirt poor, the person who spends $1500 on another lens to add to the collection of 10 they already have, is no different than this guy adding more jetskis to his yacht. Just a little perspective.
And you know this how? My guess is a lot of people who are dirt poor look at things in terms of how much they can make selling them.... my lens compared to a jet ski? Not so good. But we're both full of it for thinking we know what people who're dirt poor think. Every dirt poor person is an individual. And you haven't got a clue what any of them think. They might surprise you. Some of them are really bright. Some of them actually understand the difference between a hobby, done for personal pleasure and obscene wealth.

All the benefits you imagine to other people generated by people who have obscene wealth.. are pretty much excuses, made by people who have obscene wealth.. Where I go, there are no obscene docks to dock obscene boats to. And guess what, I can walk around without them... it's amazing the good wealthy people think they are doing, just by being wealthy. They tell themselves whatever it is they have to think, to convince themselves the don't need to do anything more than they are. Those of us with a lot less money do the same thing, it's just a lot less ridiculous.

So, just a little more perspective....

Last edited by normhead; 09-05-2014 at 11:04 AM.
09-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And you know this how? My guess is a lot of people who are dirt poor look at things in terms of how much they can make selling them.... my lens compared to a jet ski? Not so good. But we're both full of it for thinking we know what people who're dirt poor think. Every dirt poor person is an individual. And you haven't got a clue what any of them think. They might surprise you. Some of them are really bright. Some of them actually understand the difference between a hobby, done for personal pleasure and obscene wealth.

All the benefits you imagine to other people generated by people who have obscene wealth.. are pretty much excuses, made by people who have obscene wealth.. Where I go, there are no obscene docks to dock obscene boats to. And guess what, I can walk around without them... it's amazing the good wealthy people think they are doing, just by being wealthy. They tell themselves whatever it is they have to think, to convince themselves the don't need to do anything more than they are. Those of us with a lot less money do the same thing, it's just a lot less ridiculous.

So, just a little more perspective....
And you know this how? You have know idea how rich people think or what excuses they make either. And you don't know how much statistically rich people give to charity vs middle class.

I was not inferring weather or not dirt dirt poor people are bright or not, nor was I imagining what they think either. My point was that if you are dirt starving poor, it might be just as hard to justify spending thousands on camera equipment as it is for a middle class person to justify a $40000 dock bill, or several jetski new off the showroom floor.

The fact is, nobody here really knows much of anything about the guy who owns this (and he is far from the only person with a mega yacht and I have seen some that make this one look small). But you sure seem to know exactly how he thinks and justifies things and how much he helps others in need. All I was trying to do is put a perspective on all the people saying how gross this is. I am firmly in the middle class, but I look like a millionaire to some less fortunate people...just a fact of life.

09-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why someone dredged up this thread from 6 years ago I have no idea. But it's time to let it RIP.

closed
Closed Thread