Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Princess Mariana Luxury Yacht
Posted By: LaRee, 09-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Last month we had a famous yacht docked in the harbor. They paid $40,000 yep that is right, forty thousand dollars! a day to dock there.
It was a private yacht and they had the sign out..can't have any riffraff boarding!

I spoke to some of the crew and they said the crew accommodations were top notch. Twenty four crewmen AND there is even a helicopter pilot on-board. Sheesh! I wonder what THAT costs!

It carries a whole quiver of jet-skis!

Just take a look at their run-about boat. The crewman told me the engine in the runabout is larger/faster than the yacht. The wee boat in the second shot is pulled up on-board in the back when they are underway. But this one has to motor everywhere they go! Think of the cost of the fuel alone! If I remember correctly the name of this boat is Moon Goddess.

Now why would someone pay $40,000 a day to dock when they could float out in the middle of the bay and bring one of the run-abouts in? Well....it's called flaunting it baby! You should have seen the crowd this yacht drew. ;-)

You can read more about this yacht here:
PRINCESS MARIANA - Luxury Motor Yacht

And the whole gallery of photos I took here:
LaRee | Princess Mariana
Views: 10,837
09-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty Posh! Do you have any idea who the owner is?

Steve
09-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Guess I found out myself! The owner is Carlos Peralta Quitnero, Mexican telecom magnate.

According to your first link, it is available to charter if you like...Prices start at 610,000 Euro/wk!

Steve
09-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Damn Brit

She was in San Francisco a couple of months ago, tied up next to Pier 39. I took a couple of shots but I wasn't as close as you LaRee and I was shooting other stuff anyway.
Makes you sick doesn't it, how many could $40,000 feed for a day.

09-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It does look so luxurious. Beautiful boat here.
09-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The ppl who own it its a case of "spare no expense"

cheers
09-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing how much some people can accumulate. But it does make you wonder how on earth they can afford to run it all.

I was told a story locally about a former motorsport ace who had something like this and would take friends out for a week at resort island north of here...$25k in fuel to get up there, 25k in fuel running around up there and then another 25k in fuel to come home again...???? and this was several years back when we thought fuel was 'affordable'.

Good luck to them, but the indulgence does raise the eyebrows.
Cheers.
09-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Amazing how much some people can accumulate. But it does make you wonder how on earth they can afford to run it all.

I was told a story locally about a former motorsport ace who had something like this and would take friends out for a week at resort island north of here...$25k in fuel to get up there, 25k in fuel running around up there and then another 25k in fuel to come home again...???? and this was several years back when we thought fuel was 'affordable'.

Good luck to them, but the indulgence does raise the eyebrows.
Cheers.
Interesting story. It fascinates me how some people make so much money. I think once you have a LOT then it just multiplies if you invest it well. But it boggles my mind!
My first thought too was what I could do with $40,000 a day. People I could feed that were hungry, books I could donate to schools. If I could afford it and didn't have to work I would love to volunteer my time. I think that would make me feel much better than a day docked in that yacht. I mean yeah it is cool and everything, but it's just a thing. I'm not sure just how long that would be fun or feel rewarding. KWIM?

$40,000 a DAY, just to dock it here. I have a real tough time wrapping my brain around just that. I can't even fathom the fuel, crew wages etc.

09-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well he probably lost more than that the last few days if he is invested in the stcok market. Great shots and it is amazing how much money is out there.
09-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You know that $40,000 is feeding a lot of people? Really, the dock employs people, those people make wages, those wages are spent other places, the people that work at those other places make wages, those wages are spent other places, ....

Money only works if it is circulated. I hope the rich spend all their money and I don't care on what as long as the next person in line does the same.

Thank you
Russell
09-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hmm I dunno, are we talking about teenagers?

Why is it that people automatically assume that the extremely wealthy are either tyrannical scrooges or mindless Paris Hiltons? Now I don't know anything about Senor Quitnero's sense of philanthropy, nor that of Mexico Communications, but in my experience I have found that those who control enough money to spend $1/second puttering around in their dinghy also have an equally open checkbook policy when it comes to charity. They generally don't feel the need wear their generosity on their lapels either, many make private contributions or funnel them through their corporation purely to avoid the limelight on their personal light. And I can understand why - I make one small donation to a charity and suddenly I'm on the mailing and calling list of fifty others; can you imagine what happens if you make a personal donation of $1,000,000 to a charity??

Now having said all that, Quitnero may be in fact a tyrannical, money grubbing scrooge - I don't know. If he is then he's a dick, but he sure does have a pretty boat - and I'm betting he earned every penny of it too.

And nice shooting LaRee!
09-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

crazy luxuriousness batman! wow! would that be a fun afternoon or what!? thanks for sharing..
09-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Reminds me of some of the yachts tied up on the French Riviera and in Monte Carlo. They were tied up the piers and there were several Benzes, Porsches, Rolls, yada, yada parked right next to them. Quite a few bore registrations from the Middle East. Oil $$$ I guess.
09-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #14

Good photos LaRee! Having worked on these yachts for years myself, it is certainly an education into the people who rule the world. It's also given me some very odd stories- women who bathe in cream or Evian, send their drycleaning to Paris from Athens on a Lear Jet, and make the crew swim to nearby islands to check that it's not too tiring for them! Sometimes comedy, sometimes tragedy, I sure learnt that most of these people aren't to be envied. They can keep their yachts and dysfunctional lives, thanks.
09-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Very nice shooting....

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Hmm I dunno, are we talking about teenagers?

Why is it that people automatically assume that the extremely wealthy are either tyrannical scrooges or mindless Paris Hiltons? Now I don't know anything about Senor Quitnero's sense of philanthropy, nor that of Mexico Communications, but in my experience I have found that those who control enough money to spend $1/second puttering around in their dinghy also have an equally open checkbook policy when it comes to charity. They generally don't feel the need wear their generosity on their lapels either, many make private contributions or funnel them through their corporation purely to avoid the limelight on their personal light. And I can understand why - I make one small donation to a charity and suddenly I'm on the mailing and calling list of fifty others; can you imagine what happens if you make a personal donation of $1,000,000 to a charity??

Now having said all that, Quitnero may be in fact a tyrannical, money grubbing scrooge - I don't know. If he is then he's a dick, but he sure does have a pretty boat - and I'm betting he earned every penny of it too.

And nice shooting LaRee!
As MalcomX said, "As long as there are people with no clothes, anyone with two suits is a hustler." The issue with rich folks isn't that they don't give, it's that they stop giving, while they still have lots of money, and before the job is done. With so many living in abject poverty, this kind of indulgence is obscene. It says loud and clear, you just don't care about the poorest of the poor. I'm not sure why you would be making up stories about how good these people are, in my experience, during my years working as a self employed cabinet maker, I was ripped off once, buy a rich guy, and he used the privilege of his rich life to do it, and the legal advice of his lawyer to get away with it. People with less money were much more honest. I usually don't tell this story, but I feel the nonsense quoted above needs balance. Statistically, the rich give a much lower percentage of their income to charity, than the middle class. They aren't as you portray them. That's just part of the rich people hogwash, they use to justify having money and doing so little for others.
Closed Thread