Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My first Concert Shoot
Posted By: Damn Brit, 09-17-2008, 10:52 PM

I was lucky enough to be given the chance to photograph a concert on Saturday:
Experience on the Green [Chapter One]

It was a great experience, I had a press pass and had access backstage. It was also the first time I had ever used a flash (other than flip up) apart from a few shots a couple of weeks ago to practice. It was also a long and tiring day 10.30 - 6.30 My hats off to the guys who do that for a living. I am still sore from all the crouching and moving around but that's partly down to me being weak from my recent back problems (I go in for my second epidural next week)

First shot is Ray Parker Jr. - (Ghostbusters theme)
Second shot is Michael Henderson - vocalist for Miles Davis for quite a while
Third shot - Ladies man
Fourth shot - How's that for a paint job?
Fifth shot, group shot - Not sure who the guitarist is but the drummer is Ndugu Chancler who also played with Miles Davis and is one of the top 25 drummers/percussionist in the world.
Here are the first ones I have PP'd.

Comments welcomed

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-29-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Views: 2,321
09-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
LOL--get up slowly,ok? I once heard (several years ago) this song by Roberta is the slowest recorded song to ever make it to the bigtime. It is a great song!

Gary, for a firstimer, or a longtimer, you have produced great results--congrats to you. I have empathy for your back situation--best of luck to you as you proceed with it.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Love the third shot in the last set Gary

beautiful face and eyes to go with a great capture... super.

Neil
Thanks Neil

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Wow big time Gary!! I'm impressed. These are really nice. Congratulations on your new fame. This is awesome.
Thanks Mel. I never would have been able to do it with out the help and support of you fellow Forum members.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
These are all great. NIce work and I bet they will be pleased!!! Cn you give us a little more detail on your set up and what you shot with? Great job. Was this a paid gig?
Thanks Pat, no it wasn't a paid gig, I did it for the experience and to be able to get some shots of celebrities for my portfolio. I even got some shots of our mayor Ron Dellums getting a hard time from a member of the public. The mayor is famous for not being around most of the time.
Set up was; converted to IR K100 with 18-55 mk1 kit lens. For all the colour stuff I had K10D with AF360 flash. Most of the shots were taken with Tamron 28-300 believe it or not except for the few I took from the back of the stage that I took with the FA 50.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Really good stuff here, Gary. The guys are all pretty cool, but......ROBERTA FLACK!!!

IMO, she is THE greatest living vocalist......2nd only to Ella Fitzgerald in my book.

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out how you took a close-up shot of a woman without even knowing who she was.
Thanks Alan and a special thanks for your initial help on the PP.
If you took your wife with you to something like that, would you have known who the girl was?

09-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
The awesome Miss Flack.
"The first time ever I saw your face" was the song I used to woo my wife with.....(picking myself up from the kneeling position now)
We saw her in Adelaide, South Australia.....many many moons ago.
It worked didn't it? Her voice is still awesome and she's still pretty hot at 71.

[QUOTE=cupic;345545]
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

She is a knockout and captured just right

as for the paparazzi they do seem vicious LOL

cheers
Thanks Cupic.
I got trampled by them earlier on. When RF's performance started all those cell phone paparazzi rushed to the front and refused to move. I even heard violence threatened. I just sat down crosslegged on the ground and held my press pass in the air so security would leave me alone. Everyone got moved in the end but my hand got stamped on.
Luckily I'm 6'2 so I was able to shoot over their heads for the most part.
09-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Real interesting series, well done! I guess evening light can be tricky?
09-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Real interesting series, well done! I guess evening light can be tricky?
It was actually in the afternoon Georg but their were tall trees opposite the stage so the light really changed quickly towards the end.

09-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #20
Damn Brit

I just found out, for those that are interested, that the guitarist in the fourth shot is Dewayne Wiggins from Toni Tony Tone who come from Oakland.
09-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #21
Igilligan

Gary... "Where is the love"? How I missed this I do not know. The real world can be so intrusive sometimes!

Really fun series. I can hear the music thru the faces. And the legendary miss Roberta Flack, she still is beautiful... Killing me softly, The first time ever, The closer I get to you.... soundtracks of love to the teenager in me... I miss me some donny hathaway...

I think you did a fine job on these shots. Tough lighting yet I can feel it...

Love this shot

And who is this? Do you have more shots of her? She looks very interesting! I like the IR and but I want to hear her...
09-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Gary,
looks like a great day of music, butt that is the second ugliest guitar i've ever seen
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Nice shots Gary,
looks like a great day of music, butt that is the second ugliest guitar i've ever seen
Oh man... I have got to see the first ugliest guitar then.... cause that is right up there on my Butt-ugly list!

09-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

@Damn Brit
nice capture, also I love to watch concert... TFS!
09-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #25
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Gary... "Where is the love"? How I missed this I do not know. The real world can be so intrusive sometimes!

Really fun series. I can hear the music thru the faces. And the legendary miss Roberta Flack, she still is beautiful... Killing me softly, The first time ever, The closer I get to you.... soundtracks of love to the teenager in me... I miss me some donny hathaway...

I think you did a fine job on these shots. Tough lighting yet I can feel it...

Love this shot

And who is this? Do you have more shots of her? She looks very interesting! I like the IR and but I want to hear her...
Gus, thanks so much for your comments I appreciate it.

The woman in the IR shot is Patrice Rushen, there's another shot of her above.
09-22-2008, 12:34 AM   #26
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Nice shots Gary,
Thanks Tom

QuoteOriginally posted by Ansbert Quote
@Damn Brit
nice capture, also I love to watch concert... TFS!
I like to watch concert too and on this occasion, it was nice to do it through a lens.
09-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Some great shots. I noticed some yellow cast in some pictures. Was that intentional?
09-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #28
Damn Brit

Probably just my WB, it was really bright sunshine, wasn't a very good combination with brown skin and white clothes.