Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Pemaquid Point Milky Way and Mars
Posted By: DeadJohn, 08-10-2018, 05:23 PM

Facing southwest, away from the glare from the lighthouse at Pemaquid Point, Maine.

Views: 1,185
08-10-2018, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! Such a scenic place to go look at geologic features! All those cool bendy striations in the rocks were left behind when England and Europe left Pangea. Coastal Maine is technically a leftover of the Avalon Plate that the UK sits upon. The leftover runs parallel to the coast, inland from about 5-10 miles West of me here in Liberty, out past the Porcupine Islands and other coastal islands.
08-10-2018, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done. I like the stars reflecting in the tidal pool. BTW, you have four planets in the image. The Earth, of course is the foreground. The brightest star on the left is Mars. The brightest star on the right is Jupiter. The brightest star in the center of the Milky Way is Saturn. The bright star between Saturn and Jupiter is Antares, the head of the scorpion in the constellation Scorpio. The constellation Sagittarius is between Mars and Saturn.
08-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The 15-30 is a rock-star of a lens. This is so pretty, but your work, as well as the rendering of the lens.

08-11-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It all comes together very nicely. Lots of interest in the image. A few faint aircraft trails in there too.
08-11-2018, 03:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Lovely image DeadJohn...astro-photography is a bit of a lost cause here in Scotland.
08-11-2018, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

You've captured it all perfectly.

08-11-2018, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great image from one of my favorite places anywhere.
08-11-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
It all comes together very nicely. Lots of interest in the image. A few faint aircraft trails in there too.
Could be aircraft, satellites, or meteors.
08-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Facing southwest, away from the glare from the lighthouse at Pemaquid Point, Maine.

Beautiful! Great shot!
08-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Nicely done! What a great location. I think I would have positioned myself a little further to the right with the milky way more in the right hand side, to crop out the right side of the photo and catch the milky way's reflection in the pond. Personal taste really, but you did do a nice job!
08-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Nicely done! What a great location. I think I would have positioned myself a little further to the right with the milky way more in the right hand side, to crop out the right side of the photo and catch the milky way's reflection in the pond. Personal taste really, but you did do a nice job!
That's a constructive comment. I did have some alternate shots, including with the tripod a little lower and right to emphasize the Milky Way reflection, but Mars was blocked by the rock ridge from that position. Also, the further to the left I aimed, the more the lighthouse beacon became an issue. It was a hazy night and the lighthouse created a lot of glare. The haze helped in one way, adding a soft glow around bright stars.

The shot I had in mind before arriving was layering the lighthouse + Milky Way taken from a single vantage point; I did not want to paste in the Milky Way taken from another spot. The haze plus short 2-second gap between lighthouse flashes made it impossible to get enough exposure time on the Milky Way.
08-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

That's a constructive comment. I did have some alternate shots, including with the tripod a little lower and right to emphasize the Milky Way reflection, but Mars was blocked by the rock ridge from that position. Also, the further to the left I aimed, the more the lighthouse beacon became an issue. It was a hazy night and the lighthouse created a lot of glare. The haze helped in one way, adding a soft glow around bright stars.

The shot I had in mind before arriving was layering the lighthouse + Milky Way taken from a single vantage point; I did not want to paste in the Milky Way taken from another spot. The haze plus short 2-second gap between lighthouse flashes made it impossible to get enough exposure time on the Milky Way.
OOOh, yes, backstory always matters. Nicely done still! Lighthouses can be a PAIN! I did a lighthouse shot a couple of years ago with the milky way and without fog, it was challenging. I also suffered from a foggy lens situation that proved too much. I got only a couple shots and that was it.
10-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #14
Forum Member

perfect!
10-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Almost perfect. Nice effect with pinpoint stars which are not-so-pinpoint at the same time when looking to the water. Do you used any artificial light?