Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
The Photographer
Posted By: reh321, 08-10-2018, 07:50 PM

I was trying to photograph birds myself, but I just couldn't ignore this guy and his outfit.

Attached Images

Views: 999
08-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like photography but I wouldn't spend that much....

08-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Only the last section is lens hood, and it's a pricey one. $725 to replace it, it's carbon fiber.

It is not bad to shoot with hand held the IS works great with it but I rarely ever use it without a mono or tripod. I picked one up in July of 17 along with the 5dsr and the 1.4 III tc so when shooting with 50 megapixels and 840mm with the TC on you need to be very steady or have a fast enough shutter to prevent blur but the IS does let me slow down to 1/200th when I really need to.

As for the weight it's not to bad I do 5-8 mile hikes with it all the time on a monopod thrown on my shoulder.

It was a huge investment but absolutely worth it. I'm going out to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone at the end of September for 7 days and can't wait to see the wildlife.

I was shooting with the K1 and DA560 before this and the K1 was great, auto focus slow but the DA560 just wasn't good enough. The K1 and DA*300 is a great wildlife combo for closer stuff.
08-12-2018, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
We were both shooting the local Black Terns which nest there. He could get better isolation and had a better angle in case of territorial disputes - which I could hear ever ten minutes or so, but was never in a good position to capture. He seemed to have a lot more time than we had allocated for the marsh.
Attached Images

08-12-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

so, this is not a modified Stanley Cup... I'm kind of relieved actually...
Get out there man! and have fun! 'hope you share some of your good ones!

08-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I was trying to photograph birds myself, but I just couldn't ignore this guy and his outfit.
Dude needs a monopod.
08-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by françois Quote
so, this is not a modified Stanley Cup... I'm kind of relieved actually...
Get out there man! and have fun! 'hope you share some of your good ones!
Thank you for your comments. I do try to have fun every time we go there (*) Below is a less stellar photo I took in the same area with my last film camera {a Canon} about fifteen years ago

(*) typically once a year at the end of migration; with my wife retiring at the end of this coming academic year, we are hoping to be able to make the middle of migration in a few years.
Attached Images

08-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Only the last section is lens hood, and it's a pricey one. $725 to replace it, it's carbon fiber.

It is not bad to shoot with hand held the IS works great with it but I rarely ever use it without a mono or tripod. I picked one up in July of 17 along with the 5dsr and the 1.4 III tc so when shooting with 50 megapixels and 840mm with the TC on you need to be very steady or have a fast enough shutter to prevent blur but the IS does let me slow down to 1/200th when I really need to.

As for the weight it's not to bad I do 5-8 mile hikes with it all the time on a monopod thrown on my shoulder.
The problem with using a monopod or tripod is that this was a floating walkway. Everytime someone would walk past, the thing would move up and down for awhile; handheld felt more stable to me.

08-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The problem with using a monopod or tripod is that this was a floating walkway. Everytime someone would walk past, the thing would move up and down for awhile; handheld felt more stable to me.
Ahh. So your body was a shock absorber. Gotcha.
08-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would think he’d have a dedicated Jeep to mount this rig to.
08-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I would think he’d have a dedicated Jeep to mount this rig to.
He'd need something somewhat lighter and narrower to handle this boardwalk.
Attached Images