Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
First Outing D FA 100mm F2.8 WR
Lens: D FA 100 Macro WR Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: Stratford, Connecticut ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: steve_k, 08-11-2018, 03:48 AM

Purchased this lens about 6 months ago. Was planning on trying some macro photography over the winter. Well never got around to it. Finally made the decision to take it out yesterday for the first time. Needless to say this lens is going to get a lot more work.

Attached Images

Views: 728
08-11-2018, 03:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice!
08-11-2018, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot! The subject is beautifully isolated from the background. But how do you train a butterfly to do that? Mine never sit still for long enough.
08-11-2018, 04:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The lens is a beauty as is your photo. I consider my copy of the D FA 100 Macro WR to be “optical perfection”.

08-11-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Very nice!
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Great shot! The subject is beautifully isolated from the background. But how do you train a butterfly to do that? Mine never sit still for long enough.
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
The lens is a beauty as is your photo. I consider my copy of the D FA 100 Macro WR to be “optical perfection”.
Thank You all for the compliments.

As to how I captured it burst at 1/500.

I really like the lens. I own a few primes A 28 f2.8, A 50 f1.4 and this one. The big thing with me and primes is I have to decide to do a certain type of photography when using primes. I usually use zooms as I typically have no clue what I am going to shoot when I leave the house and I try to avoid changing lenses outdoors.
08-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Purchased this lens about 6 months ago. Was planning on trying some macro photography over the winter. Well never got around to it. Finally made the decision to take it out yesterday for the first time. Needless to say this lens is going to get a lot more work.
Looks like it worked.

---------- Post added 08-17-18 at 01:57 PM ----------

Thank You all for the compliments.

As to how I captured it burst at 1/500.

I really like the lens. I own a few primes A 28 f2.8, A 50 f1.4 and this one. The big thing with me and primes is I have to decide to do a certain type of photography when using primes. I usually use zooms as I typically have no clue what I am going to shoot when I leave the house and I try to avoid changing lenses outdoors.
^^^ yes to all of that! except the 100. mine's an old 135mm f2.5 and I really love the old thing. It makes everything rich and contrasty. This made me want to go back out in the heat with that lens and hunt my own butterflies...but I just de-chiggered for the evening. (shrug) Cheers!
08-17-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Looks like it worked.

---------- Post added 08-17-18 at 01:57 PM ----------

^^^ yes to all of that! except the 100. mine's an old 135mm f2.5 and I really love the old thing. It makes everything rich and contrasty. This made me want to go back out in the heat with that lens and hunt my own butterflies...but I just de-chiggered for the evening. (shrug) Cheers!
Thank You very much.

Looking at not so great weather this weekend. So butterflies and insects are probably off the list. Looks like a WR zoom type of day. Hope your able to do a little hunting tomorrow.

Cheers

08-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice image Steve and you will love that lens it's one of my all time favourite.
08-18-2018, 03:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice image Steve and you will love that lens it's one of my all time favourite.
Thank You very much Heinrich.
08-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

This is a lovely scene - the butterfly and flowers seem made for each other.
08-18-2018, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Looking at not so great weather this weekend. So butterflies and insects are probably off the list. Looks like a WR zoom type of day. Hope your able to do a little hunting tomorrow.
Bad weather might actually be better for WR prime than WR zoom - both because of poorer light and because zooming can suck water into the system.
08-18-2018, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Bad weather might actually be better for WR prime than WR zoom - both because of poorer light and because zooming can suck water into the system.
@Steve_k here too. It's been a very cloudy and wet summer.

@reh321 Agreed. The water sealing on these cameras is one of the things that attracted me to Pentax originally, thinking it would better handle being on a telescope mount out in the humid night air. Pity Ricoh hamstrung the k-50 for remote use. ..and I'm going to gripe about it right up until the day I can replace it! :P
08-18-2018, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
@Steve_k here too. It's been a very cloudy and wet summer.

@reh321 Agreed. The water sealing on these cameras is one of the things that attracted me to Pentax originally, thinking it would better handle being on a telescope mount out in the humid night air. Pity Ricoh hamstrung the k-50 for remote use. ..and I'm going to gripe about it right up until the day I can replace it! :P
I was also won over by WR. It’s how I originally stumbled across Pentax. In the end it boiled down to the K-3 II or Nikon D7200. Astro tracer and GPS sealed the deal. My only regret is no one besides Pentax seems to be making new lenses for Pentax. But in all honesty I have the entire range from 8mm to 500mm covered and many lenses that don’t see a lot of use. So not much to complain about on that front.

The big thing now is I’m thinking about a second body. Should I wait for the K-3 IIreplacement or do I buy one of the FF’s. Do I have to have one? Not really. But do I want one? Yes.

Currently a little more than half of my lenses are ff capable. Now if I could just win the raffle that would provide a temporary solution until the next flagship arrives.
08-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice shot Steve. After I started using mine, it changed my thinking entirely. Now I don't go on any kind of a trip without it.
08-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Really nice shot Steve. After I started using mine, it changed my thinking entirely. Now I don't go on any kind of a trip without it.
Thank You. I’ll probably be taking it out today in between showers.