Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pelicans
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K1 Photo Location: Wisconsin 
Posted By: c.perkins, 08-11-2018, 04:40 PM

Looks like some Pelicans staying over in Wisconsin probably on their way to Florida ?

Clarence

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 773
08-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't know that pelicans migrate - I've never seen one here in Indiana - but it is a neat photo, regardless of what I know or have personally experienced.
08-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice image. You just have to love pelicans - so stately on the water and so graceful in flight (once they find the thermals). In Australia they migrate between the coastal areas and the far inland in accordance with the rain. When there is good rain in Central Australia, the pelicans turn up in their thousands to breed. There are massive pelican rookeries out there then. But they also seem to know when it will rain because they often turn up ahead of time. Maybe your "migrate" on similar cycles. I would assume there breeding habits predate the arrival of man in either Australia or North America.
08-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I saw White Pelicans in Sabula, Iowa a few weeks ago. I did not know they stayed in Iowa in the summer. I am aware they occasionally stop here on their migration. Now, I see your photos and am thinking either I am wrong about where they stay -- (I thought well into Canada and Alaska), or their migration pattern has changed.

08-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Pelican convention?
08-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I saw White Pelicans in Sabula, Iowa a few weeks ago. I did not know they stayed in Iowa in the summer. I am aware they occasionally stop here on their migration. Now, I see your photos and am thinking either I am wrong about where they stay -- (I thought well into Canada and Alaska), or their migration pattern has changed.
I was wrong about where White Pelicans stay in the summer. According to Wikipedia they generally do not remain in Eastern Iowa, although this summer I have seen two flocks in Eastern Iowa, one in Cedar Rapids, the other in Sabula. Sabula is far outside the American White Pelican's ordinary range. Their natural range does include large parts of Western Wisconsin.