Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Wiley Coyote In Search Of Roadrunner At The Audubon.
Lens: D FA 100 WR Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: Stratford, Connecticut ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: steve_k, 08-12-2018, 06:30 AM

Shooting butterfly’s when he showed up. Updated 14 Aug. Scratch title it is a red fox.

Attached Images

Last edited by steve_k; 08-14-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Views: 779
08-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #2

Lol. Nice.
08-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good shot of coyote on the prowl.
08-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to say, he looks like a stuffed taxidermy implant. Perfect in other words.

08-13-2018, 03:08 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. It is obviously in poor condition. Maybe expended too much energy chasing roadrunners. But to me it looks like a rather scruffy red fox rather than a coyote. It may have mange by the look of the tail.
08-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PaysonAZTim Quote
Lol. Nice.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Good shot of coyote on the prowl.
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I have to say, he looks like a stuffed taxidermy implant. Perfect in other words.
Thank you all very much for your comments

---------- Post added 08-13-18 at 07:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Interesting. It is obviously in poor condition. Maybe expended too much energy chasing roadrunners. But to me it looks like a rather scruffy red fox rather than a coyote. It may have mange by the look of the tail.
Thank you for your comment.

I don’t know. You may be correct. We have both here in Connecticut and there are a pack of coyotes in the woods behind my house. And it seemed more similar to them. But a scruffy fox is possible. I wasn’t certain myself but based my decision on it’s size. This fellow stood about 2 feet high to its back. I could post this to Facebook. The director of the local zoo is a friend and I know he would correct me if I’m wrong.
08-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Definitely a red fox.

08-14-2018, 02:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, this guy looks like he could do with a good meal.
08-14-2018, 04:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Definitely a red fox.
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Yeah, this guy looks like he could do with a good meal.
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Thank you all very much for your comments

---------- Post added 08-13-18 at 07:59 PM ----------

Thank you for your comment.

I don’t know. You may be correct. We have both here in Connecticut and there are a pack of coyotes in the woods behind my house. And it seemed more similar to them. But a scruffy fox is possible. I wasn’t certain myself but based my decision on it’s size. This fellow stood about 2 feet high to its back. I could post this to Facebook. The director of the local zoo is a friend and I know he would correct me if I’m wrong.
Thank You everyone. I posted n another site looking for confirmation. I lose. It is a red fox.

I guess I would be the last person you would want a fox hunt unless you were the fox.
08-14-2018, 04:20 AM   #10
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a red fox

We have red foxes in Australia - another stupid decision to release animals that do not belong in this environment (before people knew better). You say this animal was about 2 feet at the shoulder. I can believe that because it certainly looks bigger than any fox I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot of them and measured quite a few). Usual shoulder height is about 14-16 inches. Because it looks so big I was initially wondering (before my first post) if it might be a hybrid. But it seems to be doubtful whether a coyote/fox or dog/fox hybrid is possible. Thanks for giving me something to puzzle over anyway.
08-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
We have red foxes in Australia - another stupid decision to release animals that do not belong in this environment (before people knew better). You say this animal was about 2 feet at the shoulder. I can believe that because it certainly looks bigger than any fox I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot of them and measured quite a few). Usual shoulder height is about 14-16 inches. Because it looks so big I was initially wondering (before my first post) if it might be a hybrid. But it seems to be doubtful whether a coyote/fox or dog/fox hybrid is possible. Thanks for giving me something to puzzle over anyway.
Thanks for the response. I posted it to a local Facebook group and without any doubt it is a sick Red Fox. The coloring on this guy is definitely red. Coyotes are brown in color. I was also told that coyotes were more the size of a German Shepard. I don't buy that as the coyotes that live in the woods behind my house are definitely smaller than a German Shepard.

My wife has seen them several times. I have only seen one once. We have turkeys that hang out near our bird feeder waiting for squirrels to dump food from the feeders. Well one day this coyote decides that one of the 5 turkeys would make a nice meal and he starts creeping up on them. To it's surprise the turkeys spotted him and started heading towards him. I think I sensed a bit of bafflement on the part of the coyote when he saw these 5 huge turkeys starting to come towards him instead of running away. It didn't take long for him to realize that he was no longer the predator but the target. And it was back into the woods. Turkeys may not look to scary but they can sure rip you up a bit like your Roos. When I was a youngster in the Navy I had the pleasure of visiting Perth. One of my crew members managed to get into a tussle with one of your cute looking Roos and it did not turn out well for him.
08-14-2018, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks for the response. I posted it to a local Facebook group and without any doubt it is a sick Red Fox. The coloring on this guy is definitely red. Coyotes are brown in color. I was also told that coyotes were more the size of a German Shepard.
OK, I amend my statement:
Good shot of coyote fox on the prowl.

He didn't have a "Hello My Name Is" tag on him - that is not the point - this is a splendid shot!
08-15-2018, 04:02 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
OK, I amend my statement:
Good shot of coyote fox on the prowl.

He didn't have a "Hello My Name Is" tag on him - that is not the point - this is a splendid shot!
Thank You