Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
My old 4x5
Posted By: bobbotron, 08-13-2018, 06:18 PM

Trying to run some more film through my large format camera and lenses, sure is fun to work with!

Views: 760
08-13-2018, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool! Do you have to cock the shutter with that lever before each shot, or is that just setting the shutter speed?
08-13-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Very cool! Do you have to cock the shutter with that lever before each shot, or is that just setting the shutter speed?
You do have to cock it before each shot! There's a trigger on the camera, or you can use a release cable. This lens in particular (a venerable old Kodak Ektar) has a separate lever to cock the flash mechanism.

To set the shutter speed, you rotate the outer ring on the lens (slowly, it's an old shutter.) To set the aperture, there's a small arm near the bottom you rotate.

Further, you can't look through the lens while you take the photo, you have to insert a film holder and take out the dark slide.

Any time your modern camera seems to be slow or hard to use, consider the steps above! (Mind you, the view cameras blow the doors off film plane movements available via SLR tilt/shift lenses.)
08-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Trying to run some more film through my large format camera and lenses, sure is fun to work with!

Lovely photo and great works of camera. Cheers

08-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

That looks like a blast to use!
08-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I know a guy who recently went from P&S back to a camera like that. He's having a great time he says.
08-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I know a guy who recently went from P&S back to a camera like that. He's having a great time he says.
It's good fun! Makes for slow, deliberate work, they sure are fun to work with. That would be quite the change!

08-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like to give it 25 likes. Everyone here should have a chance to spend a week at a workshop learning to use one of these.
08-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I would like to give it 25 likes. Everyone here should have a chance to spend a week at a workshop learning to use one of these.
Ya, I spent a school year learning to use them so no thanks, but maybe everyone else....

I saw and old guy in the park with one once on the Track and Tower trail. He was setting up the tilt shift for the perfect image...

The biggest problem for me with 4x5 Cameras is the slow frame rate.
08-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The whole thing looks fascinating, but there are two reasons I'd not use one on a regular basis

(1) I'm a digital guy now - I'd hate to have to scan every negative

(2) My back isn't up to taking that where I take cameras
08-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, I spent a school year learning to use them so no thanks, but maybe everyone else....

I saw and old guy in the park with one once on the Track and Tower trail. He was setting up the tilt shift for the perfect image...

The biggest problem for me with 4x5 Cameras is the slow frame rate.
Each to their own! I'm definitely not ditching my K3, but it's sure nice to spend some time around the farm lining up a shot. Takes about... 10 to 20 minutes to get one lined up? It's a fun way to spend some time.

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 12:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The whole thing looks fascinating, but there are two reasons I'd not use one on a regular basis

(1) I'm a digital guy now - I'd hate to have to scan every negative

(2) My back isn't up to taking that where I take cameras
It doesn't have to be an either / or kind of thing.

They make "field" 4x5s that are lighter. The bender is a fun piece of wood working, but I think it's "medium heavy duty" WRT to 4x5 cameras. Also not very durable, it wouldn't like hiking well. I'd love to get a travel large format camera, but not really spending more money on camera gear these days.

This winter I bought a 4x5 enlarger, going to make some prints soon.

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 12:13 PM ----------

I agree! I totally get why it's not everyone's cup of tea, but they sure are a joy to mess around with.

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 12:14 PM ----------

I should post up a photo of the other 4x5 camera I own... a studio job with screwed up bellows... makes the Bender above look puny by comparison!