Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cats Smell things
Posted By: reh321, 08-15-2018, 07:38 AM

Velcro smelling a dry display of my mother's, and Magic smelling flowers given to my wife {something from work - I don't remember the occasion}

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD1000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A620  Photo 

Views: 627
08-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Every new thing must be thoroughly sniffed!
08-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Every new thing must be thoroughly sniffed!
And Velcro seems to learn and remember. On two times I'm aware of she has camped out in front of a piece of furniture, refusing to move. In each time, I have moved the furniture and discovered a mouse cowering behind it in a place she couldn't possibly have seen when the furniture was in its original position.
08-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And Velcro seems to learn and remember. On two times I'm aware of she has camped out in front of a piece of furniture, refusing to move. In each time, I have moved the furniture and discovered a mouse cowering behind it in a place she couldn't possibly have seen when the furniture was in its original position.
I don't know how they do it. Cats are great at freaking me out by staring at the ceiling late at night, when I see nothing there.

08-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't know how they do it. Cats are great at freaking me out by staring at the ceiling late at night, when I see nothing there.
Cats are said to have much better eyes and ears than noses. I have seen ours dashing around the house, and eventually understood they were chasing small bugs, which {unfortunately for them} can fly. Since cats have excellent night vision, I've always thought that their staring at night also had to do with bugs - but I cannot get them to confirm that.
08-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Cats are said to have much better eyes and ears than noses. I have seen ours dashing around the house, and eventually understood they were chasing small bugs, which {unfortunately for them} can fly. Since cats have excellent night vision, I've always thought that their staring at night also had to do with bugs - but I cannot get them to confirm that.
I've read that cats are good at picking up scent that is on something - in the case of these photos, on the plants. It's airborne scent that they tend not to pick up, unlike dogs. And, yes, they do have scarily good vision.
08-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've read that cats are good at picking up scent that is on something - in the case of these photos, on the plants. It's airborne scent that they tend not to pick up, unlike dogs. And, yes, they do have scarily good vision.
When describing Magic, who had perfect camouflage (very fuzzy and variegated color coat}, I said she was the perfect night-time killing machine - what the Pentagon would design - a mouse's nightmare.
Thank you for your contributions to this discussion.