Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sharp Shinned Hawk
Lens: Tamron 35-80- 01A Camera: K-3ii Photo Location: Texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Kennygee, 08-15-2018, 01:04 PM

I am pretty sure that is what flew over the oak tree in the front yard this past Sunday and landed in a mostly dead tree in the neighbors back yard. I went in the house and grabbed the camera and I wasn't sure at the time if I would see it or not so I didn't bother to take the time to change lenses.I was not able to get any closer than about fifty feet ,so I started taking shots before it got to nervous and flew away. If this is not a Sharp Shinned Hawk any ideas what else it night be? I have seen lots of Red Tails and Swansons ,Kestrels, and Coopers, but none like this one. Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 620
08-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Without anything to really use for scale, I can only say that's a juvenile Sharp-Shinned or a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. Very hard to tell, but actually looks to have yellow eyes, rather than orange eyes, which leans toward a juvenile Cooper's, but is still a toss-up. The hooded look of the brown head says juvenile Cooper's, though, as an immature Sharp-Shinned will appear more streaked on the head, rather than hooded brown.

Regardless, cool sighting!
08-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #3

It's the time of year for juveniles to be going out solo. Just saw this guy on my feeder at lunch as I passed through the kitchen heading upstairs to my office. I think he's a Cooper's. Hard to tell in the juvenile phase, for sure. The bird feeder he's standing on is about a foot tall, floor to peak, which makes this guy right in the overlap range of the Cooper's and Sharp-shinned. This one is more streaked than the pic of yours, but still appears hooded as opposed to streaked. Hard to call, for sure, but I'm going Cooper's on this guy, too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G955U  Photo