Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A Bit of a Reflection of Cathedral Rock
Lens: DA 16-85 Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: Sedona, AZ ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: ToddK, 08-17-2018, 05:58 PM

We were in Sedona last weekend and were hoping for some strong summer monsoon thunderstorms while we were there, but only got a few drops of rain. They had a significant rain several days earlier which caused Oak Creek to flow across this rock formation, and a few puddles like this one were all that were left. This is probably the most photographed rock in the area and I have seen some really spectacular ones. I have patience...I will keep trying

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 479
08-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Briliant color
08-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
We were in Sedona last weekend and were hoping for some strong summer monsoon thunderstorms while we were there, but only got a few drops of rain. They had a significant rain several days earlier which caused Oak Creek to flow across this rock formation, and a few puddles like this one were all that were left. This is probably the most photographed rock in the area and I have seen some really spectacular ones. I have patience...I will keep trying
The Red Rocks of Sedona have no equal!
08-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a very nice view, and the reflection you did get is gorgeous.

08-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Nice composition - I like the low angle. I've been there, and your photo is a bit over saturated from what I remember.

Also, this seems like the perfect situation for a pixel shift image.

If shooting this again, you might want to consider doing a pixel shift image.

If you want to get really fancy, you could do 3 pixel shift images with one being focused close, one mid-range, and one focusing in the distance. Then combine all of them together in software for incredible depth, color and detail.
08-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haute Wada Quote
Briliant color
Thank you for the comment Haute Wada!
QuoteOriginally posted by magmotif Quote
The Red Rocks of Sedona have no equal!
You are right about that! Thanks for the comment.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is a very nice view, and the reflection you did get is gorgeous.
Thanks reh321!

---------- Post added 08-17-18 at 09:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Nice composition - I like the low angle. I've been there, and your photo is a bit over saturated from what I remember.
Thanks for the comment Fenwoodian. I looked at the original and it does seem a bit oversaturated.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
If you want to get really fancy, you could do 3 pixel shift images with one being focused close, one mid-range, and one focusing in the distance. Then combine all of them together in software for incredible depth, color and detail.
Thanks for your advice. I played around with several methods and this one was shot with pixel shift. However, I don't know how to process pixel shift images since I have rarely used it. I use Lightroom and PS, but I don't know if they even do anything with images shot with pixel shift. I see it is time that I figure it out and obtain the software.
08-18-2018, 03:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great image!
08-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Great image!
Thanks for the comment Photogoof!

08-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice!
08-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Videopilot Quote
Very nice!
Thanks Videopilot!
08-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

The reflection really makes this picture with its simple purity. Very strong colors. Very nice image. Thanks.
08-29-2018, 10:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A keeper! Well done.
08-30-2018, 05:01 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
The reflection really makes this picture with its simple purity. Very strong colors. Very nice image. Thanks.
Thanks for the comment Ted!
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
A keeper! Well done.
Thank you for your comment!

---------- Post added 08-30-18 at 05:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Thanks for the comment Ted!
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
A keeper! Well done.
Thank you for your comment!
« Sunrise | The loner »