Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

New "B&W Images" group
Posted By: FHPhotographer, 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM

A group for members iterested in black & white photography to show, comment & critique and discuss Pentax black & white images. The structure is pretty open, but some simple "rules" will keep it rolling along.

SOME GROUP "RULES" (thanks to Damn Britt for suggestion on clarification):
1. Obviously, black & white images only (some minor spot color okay, see dugrant153 below for good example )
2. Please post only 1-2 images at a time; if you want to post several, break them up into multiple posts and maybe insert links if they aren't sequential in the thread
3. Include a small color insert in the each posted image for comparison (see example below)
4. Please don't post full size color images in answer to questions such as source images for the B&W (use PMs to send them to individuals instead)
5. Include some comment on the conversion method (see stevebrot post below for good example of format)
6. Original B&W film images are welcome, but please add information on how you converted to digital and how the process may have affected the image compared to the original
7. I'll try to keep daily tabs on the group thread and when it gets too lengthy (say around 30+ posts), I'll start a another and number it sequentially.

Thanks for the interest and posting some great shots,

Conversion: adjusted in ACR, opened and converted in PS3 using Channel Mixer in Monochrome.

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 09-19-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION #2
Views: 5,916
09-19-2008, 02:14 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Axl - some nice shots there.

I think the first is a little busy, and the guy walking away from the camera just spoils the geometry. Now if it was a young woman walking towards the camera ...

The second would be stronger without the overhanging foliage, and a bit closer to the artist.

I like the other three - strong graphic content with good contrast. For the last I wonder if a vertical format might be better - I want to see what's up top!

Nulla - the on-board flash has killed the texture in the girl's skin, and the focus looks a little soft. I'll bet she will be a great model for you over the coming years! I love the geometry and strong graphic shapes in the other two - are these digital conversions?

I'm a film shooter struggling to come to grips with a digital-to-B&W conversion that looks as good as HP5. But I'm getting closer. Here's one that I converted from K20D RAW file, using Lightroom greyscale and just fiddled the sliders until I liked the look. I also did a fair bit of spot removal to get rid of the duck poo that littered the edge of the water feature!

Last edited by ChrisN; 09-19-2008 at 03:14 PM.
09-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Just showcasing one or two of mine:

1) Okay, this isn't very full-on B&W, but I use the effect to create contrast to the white flower Picture taken with K100D in full color, then used Photoshop Elements 6 Black and White conversion for effect. Made 2 layers: one for the flower in color, second for the background B&W.

I like this one. Reminds me of how we used to water color parts of our BW prints back in film days to bring out some details. I even took a course in it Not that I got very good, but it was fun. I even think that it was usually accepted to enter BW photos with one water color on some detail in the BW class of the many photo club competitions I used to participate in, so it was definitely considered BW when done in this way (unlike of course when they water colored whole images some 100 years ago when color processes was not available/too expensive). Nice work.

And JGredline: nice to see some Tri-x again, has a special character. Used to flip between Tri-X 400 and T-max 400 depending on if I wanted most edge sharpness or smallest grain. Sometimes pushed them to 800 or 1600 ISO. No one complained then about a photo with visible grains if it overall gave a sharp impression. Makes the pixel-maniac today look really odd.
09-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Mine B&W photos are over HERE: The Digital Photography Of Marlon B v/d Linde- powered by SmugMug
I can't make the images show here, my galleries won't allow outside linking.
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote

Wow, what/where is that! What a strange pairing of glass/steel and brick!

Steve

09-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Its at Melbourne Central Station Victoria Aust

Last edited by nulla; 09-19-2008 at 03:44 PM.
09-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Here's one of which I am particularly fond, one of the first keepers with my FA 50mm 1.4 when I got it earlier in the summer. The original is on my computer at home, will try finding it when I finish work later today.

IIRC, just did a straight desaturate in UFRAW with a slight S applied to the saturation curve.

09-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
full size color images

The Shot Tower is located in the heart of the Melbourne CBD. It was completed in 1890 and is 50 metres high. The historic building was saved from demolition in 1973 and was incorporated into the massive Melbourne Central complex in 1991 underneath an 84m high conical glass roof.

Neil
Neil, I need your assistance here. I'm not a moderator, and I won't presume to tell you what to do or what to post, but we're just getting the B&W group going and I'm concerned your post of full size color shots in response to questions (about your posted B&W) will take us down a confused road. Any chance you could pull them from the thread and send them in a PM to folks who ask? Your call, but thanks for considering it,
FHPhotographer

09-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Neil, I need your assistance here. I'm not a moderator, and I won't presume to tell you what to do or what to post, but we're just getting the B&W group going and I'm concerned your post of full size color shots in response to questions (about your posted B&W) will take us down a confused road. Any chance you could pull them from the thread and send them in a PM to folks who ask? Your call, but thanks for considering it,
FHPhotographer

Correct... your not a moderator.... PM? maybe like the one you could have sent me.

Photos removed

Neil
09-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another conversion

In this case I used Photoshop CS3: PS Channel Mixing (app. 65/30/5), then USM in a new layers (60/20/1), with layer set at 85% to boost the contrast even more, then SS at (100/1/Lens) to get more range and hopefully up the microcontrast. Also masked the palm and boosted the brightness and lowered contrast a bit...

It's more a B&W study and a finished image, but comments & criticism welcome,
FHPhotographer
09-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

My favorite place to shop. The steakhouse blow that station is not that good though.

We should organise some street shootings together some time
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shot this with my K1000 and Tri-x 400 film.
PP, work includes minor tweaks in contrast and that be it.
This is a picture of my precious mother.

This I believe I shot with my ME SUPER and BW400CN film
09-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

A little something on what I have learned in regards to scanning images and negatives.

I basically have two systems that use for this...
One at work and one at home.
One system is a HP G3010 HP Official Store — Buy an HP Scanjet G3010 Photo Scanner (L1985A#B1H) from HP Vue Scan software...VueScan Scanning Software

My other system has the same scanner with Silverfast SE software...SilverFast SE :: LaserSoft Imaging

I spent nearly 6 months doing research on this and spent money on a few things foolishly, but at the end of the day, most folks / pros who deal with film and scanning agreed that HP made the best scanners, but had the lousiest software...The HP software injected far to much into the images in the way of saturation and sharpening and all sorts of non sense....I found that Silverfast SE was by far the best at scanning negatives / film. It is brilliant....How ever, I give the nod to Vue scan when scanning a print...It just seems to do a better job...Can easily scan to over 50mp if desired...No kidding, with great results..I have printed 36'' flawless pictures all done on film....

For regular C41 process, I have found CVS to be ok...I tell them not apply any PP work as this is available at time of order. Otherwise, they will add noise/grain reduction software and sharpening as well as bump the saturation...No bueno....
09-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Here are a couple more film images...This one my Son took with his Pentax MG....Mom was annoyed...but it adds to the image.

Here she is again, but I took this one with a Generic film. I like the grain in this one...
09-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #29
db2

My dog Abby taken with istd and 50 1.7 A.
Attached Images

09-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #30

Some B&Ws of my own

Hey guys I love B&Ws. I just posted a few in my honeymoon thread, here are some more from that series:

All taken in Paris.