Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New "B&W Images" group
Posted By: FHPhotographer, 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM

A group for members iterested in black & white photography to show, comment & critique and discuss Pentax black & white images. The structure is pretty open, but some simple "rules" will keep it rolling along.

SOME GROUP "RULES" (thanks to Damn Britt for suggestion on clarification):
1. Obviously, black & white images only (some minor spot color okay, see dugrant153 below for good example )
2. Please post only 1-2 images at a time; if you want to post several, break them up into multiple posts and maybe insert links if they aren't sequential in the thread
3. Include a small color insert in the each posted image for comparison (see example below)
4. Please don't post full size color images in answer to questions such as source images for the B&W (use PMs to send them to individuals instead)
5. Include some comment on the conversion method (see stevebrot post below for good example of format)
6. Original B&W film images are welcome, but please add information on how you converted to digital and how the process may have affected the image compared to the original
7. I'll try to keep daily tabs on the group thread and when it gets too lengthy (say around 30+ posts), I'll start a another and number it sequentially.

Thanks for the interest and posting some great shots,

Conversion: adjusted in ACR, opened and converted in PS3 using Channel Mixer in Monochrome.

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 09-19-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION #2
Views: 5,019
09-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great initiative!
Here is the only ones I have handy at the moment:

Just done in lightroom using one of the BW presents.
Hope to learn from this thread how to do it properly.
09-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I for one really like B&W, BUT i am not a fan of digital black and white. There is a certain quality about true black and white via film. The grain makes a big difference...IMO...I think a black and white thread is a great idea and there is much for me to learn....

From up top the Kodak, 5 stories high. Looking down on Hollywood Blvd

Here are a couple of Black and Whites I shot with my Pentax K1OOO... I was using KODAK PROFESSIONAL BW400CN Film....Anyway, here is an engine on the dyno.

These are all tri-x 400

09-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote

Here are a couple of Black and Whites I shot with my Pentax K1OOO... I was using KODAK PROFESSIONAL BW400CN Film....Anyway, here is an engine on the dyno.

Ok...I guess the engine explains your online alias! Nice work (both the engine and the photo)!

I have been meaning to ask how you digitize your film images. Do you scan the prints, scan the negs, or have the negs scanned for you?

Steve

09-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Steve,
Depends on what I am shooting. For C-41 film I have CVS process and put the images on a CD.
For Tri-x I scan the negatives myself. I have an HP Scanner and vuescan software. It works pretty well.
09-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

JGRedline may prefer the real BW experience, but for now I have to be content with the de-colorized version. Here are a couple that I took this last weekend where switching to BW and manipulating in LR provided the needed punch.

Vista House, Columbia Gorge

MC Zenitar 16/2.8

In Lightroom:
  1. Convert to grayscale
  2. Grayscale Mix
    • Blue gray -80
    • Aqua gray -80
    • Orange gray +30
    • Yellow gray +45
  3. Contrast +50
  4. Direct adjust to curve to modify the contrast to taste

Petroglyph, Columbia Hills State Park

Tamron 70-150/3.5 Adaptall-2

In Lightroom:
  1. Exposure +.5
  2. Convert to grayscale
  3. Contrast +100
  4. Light tones +37
  5. Dark tones -57
  6. Crop to final proportions
09-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hey Steve, those are pretty good.
09-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Steve, those are pretty good.
Thank you. I took quite a few pictures of the various petroglyphs at the park, but was separated from the stones by a fence. The lighting was real poor with me and the lens shooting directly into the sun and the subjects about 30 feet away deep in the shadow of a shallow cliff. My first bunch were totally wasted by reflections off the inside of my cheap UV filter. I took off the filter and re-shot the bunch using my cupped hand as a supplemental lens hood. Even with all the effort in the shooting the only way to make the rock art stand out was to switch to BW and enhance the contrast.

The color version of the Vista house looked like something I might have taken as a kid with my Agfa 126 Instamatic clone. Switching to BW and tweaking the spectral and contrast curves yielded results that are closer to what you actually feel when you look at the structure. (BTW, the interior is really cool art deco. I have other pictures of the inside that I will have to post.)

Steve

09-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Each one teach one...

Steve,
Depends on what I am shooting. For C-41 film I have CVS process and put the images on a CD.
For Tri-x I scan the negatives myself. I have an HP Scanner and vuescan software. It works pretty well.
Some really great stuff, but let's use assume this "group" has a basic approach... each one teach one.

Assuming I don't have a clue what you're talking about on the engine static test shot other than it was shot on film -- but I want to learn how to get that richness, depth and contrast -- walk me through the steps of "HP Scanner and vuescan software."

And, can anybody get close in digital?
FHPhotographer
09-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great conversion specifics, thanks Steve...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
JGRedline may prefer the real BW experience, but for now I have to be content with the de-colorized version.
In Lightroom:
  1. Convert to grayscale
  2. Grayscale Mix
    • Blue gray -80
    • Aqua gray -80
    • Orange gray +30
    • Yellow gray +45
  3. Contrast +50
  4. Direct adjust to curve to modify the contrast to taste

In Lightroom:
  1. Exposure +.5
  2. Convert to grayscale
  3. Contrast +100
  4. Light tones +37
  5. Dark tones -57
  6. Crop to final proportions
Steve, thanks for sharing the conversion specifics... this kind of specific "how to" direction is just what I hoped we'd see,
FHPhotographer
09-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
Damn Brit

FH this is going to be a fascinating thread for me to follow. I love black and white but haven't done any, not for thirty odd years anyway.
Might I suggest that you make the guidelines a bit clearer in the opening post, under a heading for example and highlighted, instead of embedded in the text highlighted.
Then new viewers looking at the thread 'get it' right away.
09-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Steve, thanks for sharing the conversion specifics... this kind of specific "how to" direction is just what I hoped we'd see,
FHPhotographer
Hi,
As you are probably aware, there are many, many ways to de-colorize a color digital image. Fortunately Lightroom does a pretty fair job on the initial conversion in a way that mimics classical panchromatic film.

One thing that I have played with a little bit is shooting the digital image in color with a yellow or red filter intended for BW film (making sure the white balance is set to "daylight") and then converting the weird yellow or red-tinted image to BW. The effect is very similar to using the same filters on BW film and does not have the "grain" artifact that sometimes results from severe modification of the spectral curve in LR. I will see if I have some examples of the technique to post here.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-18-2008 at 10:49 PM.
09-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A slightly different take

Just showcasing one or two of mine:

1) Okay, this isn't very full-on B&W, but I use the effect to create contrast to the white flower Picture taken with K100D in full color, then used Photoshop Elements 6 Black and White conversion for effect. Made 2 layers: one for the flower in color, second for the background B&W.

2) This beauty was taken in Sydney, Australia one night. Photo taken in color, converted to B&W using the in-camera B&W filter! Later edited for contrast and brightness in Photoshop Elements 6.

09-19-2008, 01:09 AM   #14
axl
Inactive Account

me too...

Hi guys,
It's nice to see sort of B&W club. Lately I've been enjoying converting pics to B&W. It just adds a lot to many of them... despite having great problems with conversion and often ending up with "watercolour effect" (not knowing why - I'd appreciate any insight) I've managed to get some decent B&Ws.
Here is just a couple, let me know your opinions please. All are welcome...
BR
Peter
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
09-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

removed photos

Last edited by nulla; 09-19-2008 at 03:45 PM.