Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Then and now - the drought
Lens: Pentax q 02 Camera: Q7 Photo Location: Mosquito Creek, Queensland Australia 
Posted By: PJ1, 08-19-2018, 02:56 AM

In 2015 I posted a pic of mist on one of my dams on a cold autumn morning. Today I looked at the same dam - dry - with the country in the grip of the worst drought in at least 100 years. Almost all of eastern Australia is affected. The two images - then and now - appear below. No further explanation needed.

At this time of the year the wattle is usually in full bloom. This year only one or two are struggling to flower and big batches of both wattle and eucalypts are dying. I have never seen this before. The lower pic shows the meagre display of the few wattles that have managed to flower. The brownish patches are the dead and dying shrubs and trees. Interestingly, the top image (full bloom) had a washed out, white sky. Drought (lower image) does bring brilliant blue skies. (Not happy with this image though. Not the best subject matter for the 02 but it illustrates the point.)

But every day is a day closer to rain. Or so they say.
Views: 1,096
08-19-2018, 03:04 AM   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Pji

Where all praying for all of you for rain

Dave
08-19-2018, 03:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
But every day is a day closer to rain.
And further from the last rain - scary!
08-19-2018, 04:05 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
No further explanation needed.
Heartbreaking events Pete. Hang in there mate.

08-19-2018, 04:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Vow, what a difference. Global warming?
08-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Very frightening.
08-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
dbs
Pentaxian

I think ( I know dangerous ) that the weather pattern is changing to a El Nino ( the drought one ) and the Northern Hemisphere is having a very hot year this year,we seem to follow suit.

Dave

08-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #8

I really like the first one. Its pity that everything is dry now. Hopefully it will change soon.
08-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hang in there PJ, you are exactly right...every day is a day closer.
Good Luck.
08-20-2018, 05:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Pji

Where all praying for all of you for rain

Dave
I agree.
08-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

In 2015 I posted a pic of mist on one of my dams
Good series photos and the stories as well. Cheers
08-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Good documenting with good pictures. Looks to be very severe. Some areas near me (Colorado) have grasses that are just straw - no moisture. Fires love that stuff, sweeping through on the wind, and have taken out barns and homes to the south. I hope that you have no fires coming through any time.

The mosquitoes are probably down, though.
08-26-2018, 02:03 AM   #13
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and messages of support. We will get through it. There are many far worse off than we are.

the weather pattern is changing to a El Nino
Yes. I am not sure what an El Nino means on top of this but it would not be pretty. There are records from coral reef cores going back thousands of years and they suggest that about six thousand years ago eastern Australia had a massive prolonged drought period - and I mean hundreds of years! There was no Aboriginal activity in many areas at that time. I presume that there would be some kind of parallel weather change in the Northern Hemisphere too.

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
The mosquitoes are probably down, though
Actually, the first year we came here they would have carried you away. But we walked in to a bad drought then too, and the mozzies never really recovered.
08-26-2018, 03:28 AM   #14
dbs
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comments and messages of support. We will get through it. There are many far worse off than we are.

Yes. I am not sure what an El Nino means on top of this but it would not be pretty. There are records from coral reef cores going back thousands of years and they suggest that about six thousand years ago eastern Australia had a massive prolonged drought period - and I mean hundreds of years! There was no Aboriginal activity in many areas at that time. I presume that there would be some kind of parallel weather change in the Northern Hemisphere too.

Actually, the first year we came here they would have carried you away. But we walked in to a bad drought then too, and the mozzies never really recovered.
Hi PJ1

Were you on the news

Running through the RAIN
I hope it was your part of the country,I only saw but did not know where

Dave
08-26-2018, 04:54 AM   #15
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Running through the RAIN
We got 16mm. It will bring a green shoot on to the couch grass which will last about a week. Our main native grasses seem to respond to day length. Even if we get good rain in October or November, they do not start growing before mid-December and they do not grow after mid-March. That's the way the ecosystem has evolved. They grow, they set seed within a month, and the standing grass carries stock for the rest of the year. Good rain other times will produce a little bit of herbage and spark up the couch grass but that is low in bulk and nutrition. The best rain was just over the border in NSW, around Moree I think.

I rode past that dam (top) this afternoon. It is still just as dry.