Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Forty Years of Amtrak
Posted By: reh321, 08-19-2018, 11:48 AM

The first photo shows how Amtrak painted their first locomotives, the ones they purchased from the railroads. Amtrak used various paint schemes over the next forty years, but recently they painted one of their newest locomotives in the original scheme, as shown in the second photo, to honor that original effort.

Attached Images

Views: 859
08-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #2

Nice. I rode the Southwest Chief from Winslow to Chicago a couple of years ago - absolutely loved it.
08-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PaysonAZTim Quote
Nice. I rode the Southwest Chief from Winslow to Chicago a couple of years ago - absolutely loved it.
Have you stood on "that" corner in Winslow ?
08-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
I can't say that I have. But La Posada, which is an old Harvey House and Amtrak comes by, is terrific.

08-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for your comments.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip the other direction on that train, from Chicago to Los Angeles ... despite riding coach.
Raton Pass - PentaxForums.com
Smoke and Talk - PentaxForums.com
08-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
I have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about - I'm not from Arizona, but apparently you don't have to be from there to know things about it.
08-20-2018, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about - I'm not from Arizona, but apparently you don't have to be from there to know things about it.
My guess is that it's a reference to the song "Take It Easy", by The Eagles:

"Well, I'm standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona..."

08-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
My guess is that it's a reference to the song "Take It Easy", by The Eagles:

"Well, I'm standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona..."
I wonder if they had a particular corner in mind - or maybe "Winslow, Arizona" just fit nicely into the song there.
08-20-2018, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #9

I believe that they have a statue there that is dedicated to that song. It's a nice little tourist gimmick.

I rode coach too, both ways. For the cost (~130 or so each way from Winslow) I thought that it was well worth it.
08-20-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Train is the way to travel! No one telling you to sit down, you aren't allowed to avoid deep vein thrombosis!
08-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I believe that they have a statue there that is dedicated to that song. It's a nice little tourist gimmick.

I rode coach too, both ways. For the cost (~130 or so each way from Winslow) I thought that it was well worth it.
Thank you for the explanation - everyone is entitled to a gimmick or two or three ..... some of them even attract tourists.
Others just are noticed by a few people who come through town anyway.
08-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Train is the way to travel! No one telling you to sit down, you aren't allowed to avoid deep vein thrombosis!
Depends partly on the train crew.
When I rode the Albany NY - Chicago IL train five years ago, the conductor was irritated by my standing.

When I rode Chicago IL - Los Angeles CA two years ago, the crew assigned me to an aisle seat even though I was one of the first passengers to board. At Kansas City, the new crew allowed me to move to a window seat in another car. The original crew was on duty at the end of the trip, and they kept telling me I shouldn't get too comfortable, because they might need the seat next to me {I kept thinking "Little Napoleon"}
08-20-2018, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Depends partly on the train crew.
When I rode the Albany NY - Chicago IL train five years ago, the conductor was irritated by my standing.

When I rode Chicago IL - Los Angeles CA two years ago, the crew assigned me to an aisle seat even though I was one of the first passengers to board. At Kansas City, the new crew allowed me to move to a window seat in another car. The original crew was on duty at the end of the trip, and they kept telling me I shouldn't get too comfortable, because they might need the seat next to me {I kept thinking "Little Napoleon"}
But you can always stand up and walk to the café car as long as it is open. Movement is good when you don't feel like sleeping or reading on the train. Chicago to D.C on the Cardinal is a beautiful trip through the New River Gorge especially if you sit on the right side Chi to DC and left side on the return. The only problem is that it leaves Indy at just after midnight. Yuch.
08-20-2018, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
But you can always stand up and walk to the café car as long as it is open. Movement is good when you don't feel like sleeping or reading on the train. Chicago to D.C on the Cardinal is a beautiful trip through the New River Gorge especially if you sit on the right side Chi to DC and left side on the return. The only problem is that it leaves Indy at just after midnight. Yuch.
In my experience the longer stops (5 minutes or so) were always great to step out and stretch, as well as catch some fresh air. What I found though is the odd sensation of "train legs" - it definitely took me a while to get used to walking around on the train.
08-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In my experience the longer stops (5 minutes or so) were always great to step out and stretch, as well as catch some fresh air. What I found though is the odd sensation of "train legs" - it definitely took me a while to get used to walking around on the train.
When I rode the train, I got off at the Kansas City, Raton, and Albuquerque smoking stops.
Smoke and Talk - PentaxForums.com