Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
An old Boat .... Help!
Posted By: Ed in GA, 02-25-2007, 08:16 AM

This is an old boat I found in a grown up area on the back of the property at work.

Is there anything I can do to this photo to make it more appealing?

Views: 2,383
02-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup, take the same picture on a nicer day. If at all possible when you can see the light from a sunrise or sunset shining through the branches.

Otherwise I like the picture, nice find
02-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Eddy

in my opinion, I am not sure if it possible to get any huge improvements.
reason? it is a very busy photo, and with all those branches hanging over it they all draw attention on there own.... like a big competition for your eyes.
possibly a different time of year like the fall?
possibly cropping in on just the front nose of the boat with different lighting and things in bloom?
what does it look like when you are further away and the boat is smaller in the frame?

I am not expert, that is for sure...

good luck with it!
will be interesting to see other opinions

cheers

randy
02-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

I took the liberty of saving a copy of this to my hard drive. I took it into Elements and bumped the contrast. This provided some improvement. The shot is pretty much all midtones as it is.
I also cropped the shot so that the boat was in the lower 1/3 of the frame.
Ideally, if you could do another shot of the subject, I would try moving two or three steps to the right and shoot more down the side of the hull, maybe even showing a little bit of the starboard side.
I would also take two oe three steps closer to place the subject a little lower in the composition.
Just my opinion.
Interesting subject that could use exploration and experimentation.

Will

02-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #5

If I was there I'd know what I'd do. I'd crawl closer and take closeups of that wreck. I can see lovely rusty rivets, strangely colored corners and hatching paint already from this distance, I can only imagine what' s there inside. But then again, I'm strongly into closeups, you might not be.

But this image is very difficult, I agree. It's easier to go and take another one instead of improving this one.
02-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #6

If it were me, I would selectively clear some of the branches in front of the boat and probably zoom in a bit tighter, or take a different perspective moving closer to the front of the boat where it looks a little closer and may give a better feeling of the boat being trapped, with the branches and vines engulfing it from above. Just a thought fom a novice.

D
02-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Ed in GA

Thanks all,

I went into PSE5 and did a number of things to the photo but could just not get any results that I liked. I cropped it. Converted to B&W. Lightened, darkened but just couldn't get anything satisfactory.

Probably going back and moving some of the bush away from the boat would help but it might also change the ambience of the scene. Perhaps a little different lighting and playing with WB might yield some different results. Maybe just a touch of off camera fill flash might do the trick.

Somehow, or another, I think there a treasure in there to be mined if I can just figure it out.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Ed