Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Google's DeepDream AI is amazing!
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Planet Omicron Persei 8 ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Vicioustuna2012, 08-22-2018, 09:09 PM

I stumbled across Google's DeepDream AI image processor the other day, and I've been addicted to seeing how a lot of my favorite shots look when I run them through it. It uses a convolutional neural network to find and enhance patterns in images via algorithmic pareidolia, thus creating a dream-like hallucinogenic appearance in the deliberately over-processed images. It's a simple upload and click a button process, so it kinda feels like cheating, but the results are stunning. It's kind of random though, so it's hard to tell what you're gonna get until you try it. This is a shot I ran through it that came out looking like a painting. I really dig it. I included the original shot for reference.

DeepDream conversion:

Orignal:

Here's another:

And it's original:

If you're interested in making your own DeepDreams you can do it for free at this website: Deep Dream Generator

What do you guys think?
Views: 629
08-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
vtn

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, I will try
08-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got sucked into this for hours last weekend; it was good fun. Thanks for the post!

Here's one of my favorite butterfly pics delightfully warped by DeepDream.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
08-31-2018, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Name:  22314e8ead63c32eebe7b758867f5d8cf9d0f55d.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  274.8 KB

Name:  27118522166_b8c54a23b4_k.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  196.0 KB

09-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
I got sucked into this for hours last weekend; it was good fun. Thanks for the post!

Here's one of my favorite butterfly pics delightfully warped by DeepDream.
Wow, that's awesome! Isn't it addictive? Just when you think you've found a pattern it throws you a curveball and something doesn't "mesh" well. I spent hours, literally.

Pro tip: the site has membership levels that increase based on participation. When you start, your images can only be output/processed in a lower resolution/quality. To get around this I take the low res output and put it into this website that uses similar AI, neural network tech to enlarge images by 2x (literally, 2x is in the name) with little detail loss. The reality is that to avoid detail loss they apply selectable levels of noise reduction. As I'm sure you know, noise reduction smooths images at the sacrifice of detail.

Well, losing detail doesn't really matter in this case, because the DeepDream output is already unrealistic and realistic details aren't a concern. So you can enlarge your output immediately without having to spend hours to days upgrading your membership on the site via participation. The enlarger site is https://waifu2x.booru.pics/ I don't know what the anime character theme is for, but the site works and it's SFW and all that jazz.

I usually put the output image from DeepDream through the waifu2x enlarger as many times as possible to yield a large photo...just because really. There is a size limit oif around 3400x3400 I think...something like that. Still better than the small output from DeepDream. Anyway, glad you like it and have fun!
09-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wow, that one's fantastic! I love the repeated beaks and eyes.