Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
moose is loose
Lens: pentax 150-450 Camera: K 1 Photo Location: East Coast Canada ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Outlander, 08-24-2018, 08:54 PM

Came across this good looking Guy while out Hiking in the Mtn. Hand Held at the long end 450mm @350speed I broke the rule !!
Views: 693
08-24-2018, 08:57 PM - 7 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
sorry forgot to upload the photo!!
Attached Images

08-24-2018, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Wonderful photograph of a Bull Moose. You really caught the size, power and majesty of this magnificent beast.

Aren't you glad you had 450mm of telephoto lens and not 12mm of wide angle for a close up like this ? Bet he made you a bit nervous.

I have come across Bull Moose on occasion. About 25 years ago I was driving the family station wagon, with our Old Town Freighter canoe lashed onto the roof racks, out in the wilds of Riding Mountain National Park in Western Canada. It was dusk and I was looking for fishing spots..to cast a few from shore.
I was driving fairly slowly and came around a tight corner. Standing in the middle of the road was a huge Bull Moose. I stopped the wagon about 20 feet away from him. He towered over me, the Chevy wagon and the canoe and he also had the advantage in that I didn't have his large antlers, enormous strength or potential orneriness...

What to do ? I thought in this case... discretion was the better part of valor..and the strategy I employed was the.... remain quiet, not move, no honking of horn ...type of discretion.

I put the wagon in reverse, foot on the brake...then froze all my movement in the car. I just sat there for about 2-3 minutes. He casually looked over at me...didn't seem too impressed...then sauntered slowly away into the bush.
08-24-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, deer! If this had been taken with a 50/1.4, you wouldn't be posting pictures no moo...

The picture's so good it's scary!

08-25-2018, 02:02 AM   #5
Broadfield

Great picture - what an experience.
08-25-2018, 03:05 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
Came across this good looking Guy while out Hiking in the Mtn. Hand Held at the long end 450mm @350speed I broke the rule !!
Amazing shot! Has a rather unique look to it, quite distinct from more "regular" wildlife photos. The OOF twigs in the foreground give a great sense of depth, feels like they bring you closer to the motive. Great work, thanks for sharing!
08-25-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great pic. Definitely a fellow traveller to "give way" to.

08-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Wonderful shot!
08-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Seeing some really impressive results with this lens...another fine fine image...well done Outlander.
08-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Wonderful photograph of a Bull Moose. You really caught the size, power and majesty of this magnificent beast.

Aren't you glad you had 450mm of telephoto lens and not 12mm of wide angle for a close up like this ? Bet he made you a bit nervous.

I have come across Bull Moose on occasion. About 25 years ago I was driving the family station wagon, with our Old Town Freighter canoe lashed onto the roof racks, out in the wilds of Riding Mountain National Park in Western Canada. It was dusk and I was looking for fishing spots..to cast a few from shore.
I was driving fairly slowly and came around a tight corner. Standing in the middle of the road was a huge Bull Moose. I stopped the wagon about 20 feet away from him. He towered over me, the Chevy wagon and the canoe and he also had the advantage in that I didn't have his large antlers, enormous strength or potential orneriness...

What to do ? I thought in this case... discretion was the better part of valor..and the strategy I employed was the.... remain quiet, not move, no honking of horn ...type of discretion.

I put the wagon in reverse, foot on the brake...then froze all my movement in the car. I just sat there for about 2-3 minutes. He casually looked over at me...didn't seem too impressed...then sauntered slowly away into the bush.
thank you for the comments and the story Lesmore , you handled that situation well , just like this guy I stood and watched him brows he didn't seem nerves of me for I kept an eye on his ears and fir on his back , ive run into cows more often then the Bulls, met one on a trail while Snowshoeing once I simply stepped off the trail and she just walked on by . only real time I'm nerves of them is late September when the Rut is on .

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Oh, deer! If this had been taken with a 50/1.4, you wouldn't be posting pictures no moo...

The picture's so good it's scary!
thank you for the comments torashi , yes correct @ 50mm I'd be petting him ! LOL

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Broadfield Quote
Great picture - what an experience.
thank you for commenting Broadfield

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
Amazing shot! Has a rather unique look to it, quite distinct from more "regular" wildlife photos. The OOF twigs in the foreground give a great sense of depth, feels like they bring you closer to the motive. Great work, thanks for sharing!
thank you for the kind words !

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Great pic. Definitely a fellow traveller to "give way" to.
yes absolutely on the right of way , thanks for commenting

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Wonderful shot!
thank you photogoof

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Seeing some really impressive results with this lens...another fine fine image...well done Outlander.
thank you photomax7 Appreciate the comments , I usually have this Lens on my K 3 II for that extra reach , went with the K 1 this trip for knew if I did see a Moose which was my mission , being in the bush I wouldn't need the longer reach , the K1 handles much better than the K 3, best time to see these animals are ether at first light or late eve , im still on the fence with the 1.4 tele converter , don't want to sacrifice quality for distance , but I'll never know until I try it .
08-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

thank you for the comments and the story Lesmore , you handled that situation well , just like this guy I stood and watched him brows he didn't seem nerves of me for I kept an eye on his ears and fir on his back , ive run into cows more often then the Bulls, met one on a trail while Snowshoeing once I simply stepped off the trail and she just walked on by . only real time I'm nerves of them is late September when the Rut is on .

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:13 PM ----------

thank you for the comments torashi , yes correct @ 50mm I'd be petting him ! LOL

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:14 PM ----------

thank you for commenting Broadfield

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:16 PM ----------

thank you for the kind words !

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:20 PM ----------

yes absolutely on the right of way , thanks for commenting

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:21 PM ----------

thank you photogoof

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 10:37 PM ----------

thank you photomax7 Appreciate the comments , I usually have this Lens on my K 3 II for that extra reach , went with the K 1 this trip for knew if I did see a Moose which was my mission , being in the bush I wouldn't need the longer reach , the K1 handles much better than the K 3, best time to see these animals are ether at first light or late eve , im still on the fence with the 1.4 tele converter , don't want to sacrifice quality for distance , but I'll never know until I try it .
You might want to turn the post blending option off, so all answers create a new one.

08-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #12

sorry forgot to upload the photo!!
What a great photo, quite an expressive face.
09-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WildPortraits Quote
What a great photo, quite an expressive face.
thank you for commenting wildportraits