Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sturgeon Moon
Lens: SMC Pentax F 100-300 f4.5/5.6 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Huntsville, AL ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: dubyam, 08-25-2018, 12:03 AM

Took a few minutes tonight to snap a handful of shots of the nearly full moon hanging in the clear sky to the southeast of my yard. The August full moon is the Sturgeon Moon, I learned, when checking out the moon phase and rise/set times tonight. I still need to get my exposure a bit better, but I was rushing and set my shutter too fast. Still, this image is nice, I think, and I've added a bit of exposure post-processing to balance it out. The original image wasn't bad, just mildly underexposed. I'm pleased with this result, though I still feel like I'm just not getting the level of detail on the face of the moon I'd like, though toward the edges I am getting good detail and texture.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 197
08-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is very nice, and yes, the bottom left edge of the moon shows really great detail. Well done!
08-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, jays0n. I've been working on my technique, but can't seem to get that level of detail across the entire moon surface. Beginning to wonder if that's possible or not.
08-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Took a few minutes tonight to snap a handful of shots of the nearly full moon hanging in the clear sky to the southeast of my yard. The August full moon is the Sturgeon Moon, I learned, when checking out the moon phase and rise/set times tonight. I still need to get my exposure a bit better, but I was rushing and set my shutter too fast. Still, this image is nice, I think, and I've added a bit of exposure post-processing to balance it out. The original image wasn't bad, just mildly underexposed. I'm pleased with this result, though I still feel like I'm just not getting the level of detail on the face of the moon I'd like, though toward the edges I am getting good detail and texture.
Fantastic details!