Views: 326
08-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shinigami Quote
Photo of landing LOT-Polish Airlines Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner in painting "
Proud of Poland's Independence"

Nice photo ..... I'm surprised you could get that close.
08-25-2018, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
[/LEFT]
Nice photo ..... I'm surprised you could get that close.
Thanks, it's easy to get that close because fence of airport was like 5 meters to my right and then only around 20 to runway
08-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. you can see the tire markings! You can also see the runway end markers just over the fence.

Hey! I thought Shinigami just liked apples. :P

08-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, it's easy to get that close because fence of airport was like 5 meters to my right and then only around 20 to runway
Most US airports are making the areas around runways less and less accessible - that is partly because of issues such as noise, but security has {very reasonably} become issue #1, and #2, and #3. Chicago Midway is close to people, it was a truly urban airport (*) even sixty years ago when it was "world's busiest airport", but they have put up "privacy fencing" to separate the runways from the busy road.

(*) my wife, who was raised in New York City, was surprised to see major highways and businesses within a mile of the airport.
08-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Wow. you can see the tire markings! You can also see the runway end markers just over the fence.

Hey! I thought Shinigami just liked apples. :P
You're talking about tire markings on street? And every Shinigami loves apples

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 02:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Most US airports are making the areas around runways less and less accessible - that is partly because of issues such as noise, but security has {very reasonably} become issue #1, and #2, and #3. Chicago Midway is close to people, it was a truly urban airport (*) even sixty years ago when it was "world's busiest airport", but they have put up "privacy fencing" to separate the runways from the busy road.

(*) my wife, who was raised in New York City, was surprised to see major highways and businesses within a mile of the airport.
Safety on Chopin Airport is very important as well, there are patrols of airport security around fence etc, this is busiest airport in Poland and it's urban airport as well, that's why our current goverment want to build central airport outside the city (it's not gonna happen), people living around airport likes this idea, but the don't remember that after that chopin airport will become cargo/military only, so good luck with starting/landing f-16 and mig 29
08-25-2018, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the plane silly!
I think you might see something zoomed in but this was a very obscure reference on my part. When I was a kid one place I lived in Navy housing was the naval shipyard in south Philadelphia and had 747's flying right over my roof every 3 minutes on final approach. We used to say "you could see Goodyear on that one!" standing in the yard after having them roar right over. You could also see them one behind another lined up for approach. The exhaust and pollution, as well as burning gas towers from oil refineries right across the Delaware river in New jersey made some of the best sunsets. (cough)
08-25-2018, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
When I was young I lived on the final approach to a big airport. There was a painter working on our house who wore glasses like coke bottle bottoms.
After one flew over he looked at my dad and said "When I can see the pilot smiling, it's too damn low"

08-25-2018, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Great close shot of the landing. Lucky that you can get so close, and you certainly took advantage of that. Must have been a bit noisy. Well built image, with plane, landing lights, street lights, and road all emphasizing the big bird coming down for its landing. Nice image. Thanks.
08-26-2018, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I, too, am surprised you can get that close. Good shot!
08-31-2018, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Photo of landing LOT-Polish Airlines Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner in painting "
Proud of Poland's Independence"
Very cool!