Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Tower Bridge Over the Sacramento River
Lens: Sigma 17-70 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Sacramento, CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: ToddK, 08-25-2018, 05:58 PM

This was taken during the 2016-17 winter which was one of the rainiest on record for Northern CA. The river was high, but fortunately, the rain and snowmelt was spread out enough that it never flooded.

Attached Images

Views: 1,342
08-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clouds and water make this one happen for me. Keeping those towers in sync must be a trick.
08-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well done!
08-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Clouds and water make this one happen for me. Keeping those towers in sync must be a trick.
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Well done!
Thanks to both of you for your comments!

08-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Keeping those towers in sync must be a trick.
Synchronizing the two end of a "lift bridge" is something they figured out about a century ago - civil engineers must teach that but since I'm not one, it looks like 'magic' to me also.

Lift Bridge - PentaxForums.com
08-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Synchronizing the two end of a "lift bridge" is something they figured out about a century ago - civil engineers must teach that but since I'm not one, it looks like 'magic' to me also.

Lift Bridge - PentaxForums.com
oops...I outed myself a bit with that one. I was being facetious. I'm an industrial electronics tech by day and while I try to avoid application engineering I end up getting involved once in a while, usually to fix something some dork installed incorrectly or undersized or a complete mess. Even as I wrote that my work brain was connecting a drive+follower master slave pair with encoder feedback positioning and connecting it to a networked plc with safety I/o leading to an hmi in the control room. In other words magic.
The stuff has gotten way too complicated in the last decade or so and I get excited when I get what was once a run of the mill(pun) dc drive to work on.

100 years ago there were no semiconductors to vary the current so they would have had to play all sorts of games with motor/generator multitap transformer arrangements and gears and cables and stuff. I did a service call on one of those ancient monster once.
I have this gene that makes me "need" to fix problems. You'll see me hangning around the help needed threads from time to time.
For the mechanics, Venetian blinds come to mind.
08-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That yellow is a bit shocking! I like your composition though.

08-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

oops...I outed myself a bit with that one. I was being facetious. I'm an industrial electronics tech by day and while I try to avoid application engineering I end up getting involved once in a while, usually to fix something some dork installed incorrectly or undersized or a complete mess. Even as I wrote that my work brain was connecting a drive+follower master slave pair with encoder feedback positioning and connecting it to a networked plc with safety I/o leading to an hmi in the control room. In other words magic.
The stuff has gotten way too complicated in the last decade or so and I get excited when I get what was once a run of the mill(pun) dc drive to work on.

100 years ago there were no semiconductors to vary the current so they would have had to play all sorts of games with motor/generator multitap transformer arrangements and gears and cables and stuff. I did a service call on one of those ancient monster once.
I have this gene that makes me "need" to fix problems. You'll see me hangning around the help needed threads from time to time.
I sometimes get klutzy operating Venetian blinds .... and the engineers can bring the cords together there. As a retired software engineer I do sometimes stand in awe at what mechanical engineers were able to work out a generation ago.
08-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
That yellow is a bit shocking! I like your composition though.
You should have heard all of the negative comments in Sacramento when they decided to paint it that color

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 07:22 PM ----------

Of course, just like Venetian blinds, bridges like this have their share of problems. There is a very similar bridge in Rio Vista, CA in the Sacramento Delta stuck in the up position for the past several days...
08-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
You should have heard all of the negative comments in Sacramento when they decided to paint it that color

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 07:22 PM ----------

Of course, just like Venetian blinds, bridges like this have their share of problems. There is a very similar bridge in Rio Vista, CA in the Sacramento Delta stuck in the up position for the past several days...
Oh wow! I bet that's a problem. I think it's a bit far for a service call. :P
08-26-2018, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think it's a bit far for a service call. :P
No worries...Caltrans is on it
08-26-2018, 11:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice urban shot, well done. I like this part of Sacramento too... used to stop by here on the way to and from Tahoe back in the day.
08-27-2018, 04:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Nice urban shot, well done. I like this part of Sacramento too... used to stop by here on the way to and from Tahoe back in the day.
Thanks GeoJerry! There are a lot of nice views of the City from this side of the river.
08-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This was taken during the 2016-17 winter which was one of the rainiest on record for Northern CA. The river was high, but fortunately, the rain and snowmelt was spread out enough that it never flooded.
Very nice!
08-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Videopilot Quote
Very nice!
Thank you!